Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

Get to Know Water Polo

In its sophomore season at ISB, water polo has been gaining popularity and recognition as a third season sport. Answering the “are you trying out for a third season sport?” with “yes, water polo” still may raise a few eyebrows; however, once our Panther athletes are better informed, water polo will develop the reputation that such a demanding and competitive sport deserves.

Water polo at ISB is cross-gender, with the team consisting of 3 girls and 11 boys. Currently, it does not have an IASAS tournament, but a possible IASAS is in the books for the near future. The season is set to conclude at Bangkok Patana School for the BISAC tournament. Still a young sport at ISB, there is much to be accomplished for the team.

Water polo combines the rigor of extensive swimming with the fast-paced action of football, and the occasional physicality of rugby. An interesting distinction to be made between water polo and more well-known sports, is that the teams are not organized into specific positions in the water. While some players may be better at shooting or defending than others, all players are expected to play the role that the situation requires. Players are expected to continuously push forward on offense, while hustling back on defense with equal intensity. For a newcomer to water polo, the level of fitness required can be a shocking aspect of the game.

Coach Brian Jackson acknowledges fitness as a possible area of improvement for our ISB team, saying that he wants “more players getting on a year-round conditioning programme so training can be sport specific and less time getting into shape.” With the team consisting of mostly new players, all practice time that can be dedicated to tactics and skill development is critical to the growth of the team. Coach Jackson has goals for both the team and ISB as a whole regarding water polo. He hopes that the team will “be more aggressive, but play cleaner with no fouls, and keep smiling.” His tangible goal for the team is a first-place finish at BISAC, and the goal for the ISB community is to have “more students and families coming out to watch a very fast paced exciting full contact sport.”

Success in water polo is similar to that of many other sports as the ultimate objective is to score goals. However, Captain Chris Glaess (11) acknowledges other possible sources of success for the team, one being similar to Coach Jackson’s goal of “drawing attention to not just the team but also to the sport”.

As with many other sports, communication is a key aspect of the game. As a result of its fast-paced nature, Hassan Nasser (9) emphasizes that “talking to the team, and especially the goalkeeper, is crucial because of his ability to see the whole court.” Additionally, “all players must get used to being pulled underwater and kicked constantly, in order to maintain focus on the game itself.” Hassan identifies sheer athleticism, toughness, and continuous communication as the necessary combination for success in water polo.

The Panther water polo team competes against local Bangkok schools, including universities in order to hone their skills against stiff competition. Anyone with a love for sport can appreciate fast-paced action and physicality, and water polo is a combination of both. Keep an eye out for updates on the team, and do not forget that support is warmly welcomed!

Will R.