Three Things You Should Know – November 2016

With all of the problems that are arising in today’s society, one will see that the articles get repetitive and will want to find more significant information about the world. Well, here at three things you should know, you can do just that!

screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-12-21-23-pm

Ana Julia Ribeiro, a 16 year old sensation, has voiced an opinion which everyone is too afraid to share. The young teen was applauded shortly after she criticised the government’s education plans and the student right policies. She argued, “Schools without political parties,” which does not not allow political discourse in the classroom. She believes that it is a, “Insult to the capacity of the students ability to think for themselves.” Currently, the government is waiting until the protesters back down, in order for them to rebuttal her response.

screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-12-21-35-pmIslamist militant group Boko Haram’s insurgency in Nigeria, Maiduguri, has left over 20,000 people to die, and over 2 million people displaced. Further into this issue, Human Rights Watch (HRW), has discovered that many women and girls are being raped or drugged by the officials that watch over the camps. Certain groups in the camps have said, “Irregular supplies of food, clothing, medicine and other essentials in internally displaced camps in Maiduguri had made women and girls more vulnerable.” For now, President Muhammadu Buhari, being worried about the situation, has assigned police and state governors to investigate the problem.

screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-12-21-46-pm

The most powerful earthquake in Italy since 1980 occurred on Sunday. The 6.6 tremor shattered hundreds of building leaving more than 30,000 residents homeless, but luckily none dead. More than 1,100 aftershocks have been recorded from the quake, destroying buildings, but thankfully still not killing any people. Prime Minister Matteo Renzi was quick to visit the village of Preci, evaluating the damage and later saying, “There was no magic wand to rebuild shattered communities. It will take time, but we’ll do it.”

Matthew Poulin