Battle of the Sexes

Gender inequality refers to unequal treatment or perceptions of individuals based on their gender. It arises from differences in socially constructed gender roles. Gender inequality is one of the major problems we face in our everyday lives as many people are discriminated against for being a certain gender and not fitting the stereotypes of that specific gender.

Gender inequality can be shown in many different ways and in many different places but we are taking it to the courts, fields and tracks of ISB where some of our students elaborate on their experience with gender inequality.

Sabrina Kwenda (11) an athlete for many of the ISB sports teams, described to us what she thinks gender inequality actually is. “To my understanding, gender inequality is any mistreatment, special treatment, or bias toward any gender.”

Screen Shot 2560-02-07 at 12.37.44 PM

She also stated, “The issue with gender inequality is that it inhibits those who identify with a gender, from reaching their maximum potential as a member of society and closes them off from certain opportunities. It also creates barriers and unnecessary divisions between people.” This statement explains why we need to reduce if not stop the practice of gender inequality in schools around the world.

When asked if Sabrina had ever been subject to discrimination due to her gender, she replied with, “As someone who is super passionate about sports, I feel like I (am) sometimes pushed to the side or not thought of as a real athlete who could ever actually compete with boys or their dedication to sports,” she said. “There (have) been multiple times when I (have) been told to learn to cook or clean to essentially become wife material and even told to just ‘sit there and look pretty’ during group projects.”  

“To me, gender inequality is where one gender gets preferential treatment over another. I think that it sets an unfair standard to be held to and provides an advantage for one gender over another.” said Emma Turner (10) a student in ISB, talking about her definition of gender inequality and why it is a bad thing in a “safe” environment for students and personnel. She stated that she has never been aware of a time when she has been discriminated against due to her gender or sexuality and she thinks that all genders are equal.

When asked what she personally thought gender inequality was, Isabelle O’Connor (11) simply replied with, “One gender gets treated will less respect than the other.” She then added, “Some people believe it [is] no longer an issue while  others make way too much of it, neither one getting us anywhere to equality.”

Isabelle then added a statement about stereotypes that are well known to give us an example of what gender equality is. “Every time in situations where something needs to be lifted and they ask for strong boys, or men, I mean come on we are strong as well. In our day to day I (would) say (we are) very equal but every now and then either gender will be treated differently depending on the situation.”

In this day and age we have the latest technology, geniuses inventing the new best thing, and so many other new important things, but somehow, we are not able to treat each other with respect and not discriminate between genders. One of the main ways to see this happening in everyday life, is in sports, with how many people are discriminated against when we should care for and love one another.

Many girls are told that they are not good enough to be an athlete, or they are too feminine or it’s not their job to be the one that has a passion for sports. We need to set those stereotypes aside and be who you want to be, if that is basketball, football, rugby, tennis, track and field, cross-country, swimming, touch rugby, volleyball and so many other sports. This is not only in sports though, do what you want to do no matter what others say.

Megan B