Catching up with Quinet

Mr. Quinet at one of his many previous athletic experiences

Mr. Quinet is one of the many new staff members to arrive at ISB this year, and he has already been heavily involved in athletics since replacing Mr. Vaughan as Athletic Director. PantherNation recently caught up with Mr. Quinet and asked for his thoughts on his first few weeks at ISB.

What are your initial reactions to the athletic program here at ISB?

I’m extremely impressed with the level of energy and focus that our athletes and coaches bring daily. I’m a big believer that success is forged through hard work and purposeful practice. Watching our teams go through the early stages of the season, I’d say we’re off to a great start.

Although we are still in the early days, do you see any changes that you may be looking to implement?

Right now I’m not looking at change as much as continuing to improve what we already offer. I’ve enjoyed my opportunities thus far to meet with our students, coaches, staff, and community to talk about our program’s strengths and areas to improve, and we’ll continue to observe and assess before looking at any significant moves. We are very excited about some of the new programs we’re implementing, like Team Connect, along with a handful of others that add great value and promote school spirit. Good things are cooking.

What is/ are your goal(s) for ISB athletics as a whole?

That’s a great question. I’d like every athlete to feel valued, to be engaged, and to be challenged. Our teams should pursue excellence at every opportunity and represent ISB with dignity, integrity, and passion. How we define success will determine how we reflect upon on our experience, so it’s crucial that we clearly articulate our athletic philosophy and goals. We want to continue to build school spirit and have fun. Ultimately, the ISB athletics program should be synonymous with character education, sporting excellence, and community engagement.

What do you most look forward to at your first IASAS?

I love seeing the community out in support of our teams. I want to see the gyms packed with fans and the cross country course lined with students. The competition will be fierce, and I’m looking forward to seeing our Panthers step up to the challenge. Home IASAS events are always fun, and with everyone contributing to the planning and coordination, it’s going to be a memorable event!

What has been the highlight of your own athletic career?

I recently watched Inside Out with my two daughters, and winning the state basketball championship my senior year would certainly qualify as a core memory. Being a part of that team helped shaped my character and left a lasting impression of the level of dedication, effort, and perseverance it takes to reach your goals. I’m fortunate to be able to share my passion for sports with others, and I’ve experienced far more highlights as a coach than a player at this point. Witnessing growth and achievement in students makes this job worthwhile and underscores the value of sports in our education.

How do your personal athletic experiences influence the type of athletic director you want to be?

Every coach wants players who do the little things required to succeed, who always give 110%, and who sacrifice for the betterment of the team. These players defend like crazy, hustle for every ball, and never give up. Every team needs these types of players, and the more you have the better. My aim is to be that type of Athletic Director and to celebrate our collective success. I promise to give my best effort to help put us in a position to be successful, and I hope all of you will as well. Together we will make this Panther program truly special.

The ISB athletics program under Mr. Quinet continues to emphasize hard work, dedication, and perseverance, with an aim to increase community involvement and support. IASAS Volleyball and Cross Country are set to be hosted here at ISB in October, providing the ultimate opportunity for our athletes and community to show what our program is truly made of.

Will R.