Inspire. Connect. Empower.

Living in secluded expat neighborhoods, international school students may often find it difficult to connect and empathize with the local problems that are happening in the city, as well as global ones that occur elsewhere in the world. In 2012, several educators in Bangkok put their heads together to come up with a solution that would enable their students to collaborate and take actions on these issues. They thought of a way that would inspire, connect and empower students: the ServICE Conference.

This year, the 4th ServICE Conference took place from January 23rd to 25th at the International School of Bangkok. Approximately 140 students from 12 different international schools from Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket convened for this three-day-long conference.

The first day opened up with Ice Breakers, in which students shattered barriers between each other through personal questions and inquiries. They were then allocated to different Burst Your Bubble (BYB) groups. Each group, consisting of about 6-8 students, took on a different service activity outside of the campus. These ranged from teaching English at the Wat Koo Kindergarten to taking care of babies at their home.

“Interacting with the little children at the Wat Koo School was the absolute highlight of the conference,” stated Elen Steed, a student from the Regent’s School Pattaya.

Many other participants, however, also pointed to the powerful guest speakers as the ones who made this year’s conference truly memorable. Deena Goodman from Shrewsbury International School explained that she “felt inspired, connected, and empowered after listening to Khun Lek speak about the torture of the elephants.” She added that she did not stop at merely being emotionally stirred by this presentation, but began to be more engaged in related activities at her school.

As can be seen through this effect the conference had on Deena, the ServICE Conference often leaves behind tangible results. It brings together students from different schools so that they can carry out more impactful actions through joint effort. Some of the collaborative projects that have arisen out of the ServICE conference include Operation Smile’s Color Miles for Smiles and Clean Up the Reef Day.

Action Planning session is when these events and other ideas begin to be discussed. Students join a group that interests them the most, and with other members, brainstorm a range of possible projects. These premature ideas then become fully developed and elaborated through the continued communication between the Action Planning group members.

The Action Planning sessions from this year’s conference have yet to mature and have an impact on our community. However, what is important to note is that through the ServICE conference, students have undoubtedly been given the tools and the knowledge needed to plan a course of effective actions.

They have learned that it is not enough to simply stop at being inspired, but that they need to think about how they can realistically contribute to the cause. They have learned that there, in fact, is a way in which they can play a part in remedying a seemingly gigantic problem. They have become true, competent global citizens, who will spearhead crucial projects in the future.

The 4th ServICE Conference has left the student participants with a greater sense of awareness, leadership and responsibility. There is no doubt that it has done its service by inspiring, connecting and empowering them.

by Seo Young Lee (12)