Long Talk with Mr. Kelly

Taken+by+Yoyo+W.+
Taken by Yoyo W.

The International sat down with one of our new teachers, Mr. Matthew Kelly is a new Economics and Business teacher at ISB,  to introduce him to the community.

Where are you originally from?

I was born in London, South London in fact. A long time ago (laughs).

Before Bangkok, where were you?

Well I spent five years in Beijing. Before that I was traveling around, and before I was traveling around and some time earlier I was working in London. So that’s the past few years.

What subjects do you teach, and why are do you love them?

Here at ISB I teach World Studies, Business and IB Economics. I’m passionate about them because I still really enjoy learning and it’s really good to get a kick out of helping other students learn as well. I was not always the top student at school, far from it, so I know what it’s like to struggle with your studies. I really enjoy helping students see the bigger picture. I’m passionate about Economics in particular because I first started studying it when I was in grade eleven. It really helped me see the world in a bigger way and understand problems not only locally but across the world. It’s a life changing subject, and that’s why I’m passionate about it.

What interests do you have outside of teaching?

Well, I think like most other international teachers, I like to travel. We all see to make the most of our holidays. I’ve gone on a few adventurous journeys and blended my love for economics and history by exploring silk routes in central Asia and the Spice Islands in Indonesia. Alongside that I am trying to teach myself a bit of photography to keep me entertained on my travels. However the more I learn about photography, the less I understand, it is really complex, but it’s something I am enjoying.

What’s the most interesting thing about Bangkok and ISB to you so far?

I’m quite new here, but I’ve been to Bangkok before as a tourist. But now that I’m here living and working I can see a whole new Bangkok. There is far more to it than the average tourist may see. Just this weekend I went exploring some of the lesser known areas of the city to eat some street food. I went with a Thai speaker to help me with the vegetarian food, because I’m a vegetarian and it’s nice to have that confidence. Bangkok is so big and varied that there is a lot more to it than the Sukhumvit area and shopping centers. Everyone is super friendly, it’s very fitting that this is called the country of smiles. People are helpful compared to some of the other countries I have visited. Everyone is willing to help me along the way. ISB is obviously an amazing school with a great reputation and the resources are fantastic. I’ve been blown away by how supportive people are, and how helpful they have been by integrating the new teachers who have all come from different parts of the world. So it’s been fantastic in a professional sense as well. The students here are really friendly and keen to learn, so getting to know them has been really great fun.

Favourite movie of all time and why?

That’s a big decision. I think a childhood favourite is The Goonies, which I understand they’re remaking, although I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. But The Goonies with Chunk and the Truffle Shuffle has always been a fond childhood memory of mine.

The International welcomes Mr. Kelly to his new year at ISB, and hopes that he loves it as much as the students he teaches do.