Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

An Act of Justice

Credit: Tatan Syuflana

With the coming of March in 2014, also came the catastrophic news of one of our sister IASAS schools, Jakarta Intercultural School (JIS), suffering from unjust acts driven by the self-interest of a single mother. The story quickly spread, gaining attention both nationally and internationally. We have all heard about the case, we have all heard about the ludicrous accusations, and most importantly, we have all heard about the janitorial staff and two teachers, Ferdinand Tjiong and Neil Bantelman, that were accused of sexual abuse, and sentenced to spend a full decade, imprisoned.

However, to the delight of those who have so rightfully advocated for justice, for lawfulness, and integrity– in August, 2015, a local Indonesian court overturned the conviction, finally acknowledging that the story conjured up by the mother who sued the school staff was riddled with legal errors.

Dr. Andrew Davies, Deputy Head of ISB, commented on the attitude that ISB has upon the release of the two school staff, stating that “on behalf of the ISB community, we are thrilled to see that justice has finally prevailed and that Ferdi and Neil can return to their families and friends. The IASAS community stands firmly behind the custodial staff that remain incarcerated and urges the Indonesian justice system to work with dexterity to free them.”

Dr. Davies is completely correct: although the international community is overwhelmingly ecstatic to know that righteousness has finally reigned triumphant over the  precarious legal system in Indonesia, the journey is not over. The janitorial staff that were tortured during questioning have not been liberated yet, and are still under legal suspicion. The ISB community still fully supports JIS, and will maintain its stance until the innocent are treated as such.

As a consequence to the situation which has engulfed JIS over the past 18 months, ISB and other Southeast Asian schools have taken proactive measures, making several alterations to their security procedures. Mr. Rick Nelson, ISB’s Safety Manager, stated that “the security measures that the school is now taking are tied to a school-wide effort to apply the best practices for Student Safeguarding.”

He adds that these standards are “quickly becoming the ‘norm’ for international schools.” Some of these standards including increased vetting for all adults who work in and around children, tighter security on who comes on campus, emergency preparedness, and response for any emergencies both on and off campus and general safety and prevention strategies for all programs and facilities.

In summation, he says that “ISB is in the process of going through an accreditation process that we hope to attain certification from Keeping Children Safe, an international agency, in the area of Student Safeguarding.”

The events that occurred in Indonesia, the things that these men and women are going through right now– it’s all truly a haunting example of how perverse humans are capable of being. It definitely is a reminder to all of us of the importance of being a pillar upholding what is right, what is true. We are so appreciative of the Indonesian Judicial system for eventually upholding their principles – meaning that for the staff still under suspicion, the pendulum of justice might still be in motion in their favor.

Paola L