Evolving in the 21st Century

We live in a world that is constantly changing. Take us, human beings as an example – we have evolved from monkeys that walked on 4 legs and carved stones as attempts to communicate with each other, into human beings that run on two legs and communicate vocally, expressively and through writing.

We have adapted to the expectation of the present in order to be better suited for the demands of the future; as Charles Darwin once preached, “the most fit for an environment will survive.” Ms. Traci Marlowe, ISB’s new librarian, is doing the same with our library – it is on the verge of evolving.

Now, in the olden days, a library was meant to be a quiet place for people to read, but our demands, our interests, and our needs have evolved as we near the end of the second decade of the 21st century. We no longer require a space solely for reading, even though reading may still be a primary aspect of our learning.

We do, however, need a space where we can gather together and communicate, share, work on ideas, and be 3 dimensional learners. The main focus of this new library system is “a more dynamic, interactive, and inviting space to inspire life long learners,” as Ms. Marlowe phrased it.

Since reading is (and will always be) a significant role in a student’s learning, it will remain a central aim of the library. The organization of how the books are archived, however, will change.

The first manner in which the library has evolved from the old system into the new system is the genre sorting of books. When you walk into library, you will notice above each shelf, there is the name of a genre such as “romance”, “fantasy” or “science fiction”.

The reasons behind this change, as Ms. Traci Marlowe explains, is that “people tend to get lost in a sea of spines that are arranged from A to Z by author’s last name. Arranging by genre makes it easier for people to browse a section and find a good book that they will enjoy”. It will also allow you to easily find other authors in your favorite genre that you may have otherwise overlooked.

The library is also looking to experiment with increasing non-fiction visibility and circulation by “placing non-fiction books with its related genre. We are breaking the non-fiction novels into more obvious sections will help readers discover books that speak to their passions” Ms. Marlowe explained. Ms. Marlowe concludes that “if a book sits on the shelf collecting dust, what is the point of having it?”

Apart from the changes regarding book circulation and shelving, the library is also trying on a new ‘vibe’ in seeking to encourage more visitors. When you walk into the library this semester, it is immediately obvious that there are more students using the space.

The Greene Room became a Media Studies room available for students to reserve the use of its facilities; students are now allowed to use their laptops wherever they desire; and areas outside of the Study Rooms are now being regarded as ‘silent’ areas. All are attempts to make the library a more dynamic, inviting space.

These changes were widely requested by the ISB community, and since the library is here to promote learning and inspire more learners, they are always eager to make changes.

Those are not the only changes that are being made. Expect many more in the upcoming months, such as a new 3D printer, new spaces for work and, of course, new books!

The librarians always appreciate positive feedback, and constructive criticism is always helpful, as it will help the faculty be aware of student’s needs. So do not hesitate to let them know how they can help, to create an environment better suited for your current and future needs!

Carol Z