ISB’s 65th Anniversary

DCIM108MEDIA

DCIM108MEDIA

On May 24th, the International School of Bangkok celebrated its 65th anniversary! The internationally recognized premier school was founded in 1951 by a set of innovative parents, despite the fact that there was only a mere 50 students attending the school. In the past, ISB would only allow United nations and American diplomats apply for education, however it expanded as Thailand became more recognized. In the year 1960, ISB moved its campus from U.S.owned grounds to Sukhumvit Soi 15 (where NIST is today), and was then relocated again to the current Pak Kret District.

Because of the growing population, a second campus was created on Viphavadi Rangsit road, but then closed in the mid-1970’s due to American drawdown from Vietnam. It now consists of an Elementary, Middle, and High school merged with Thai styled complexes. The 25 million dollar campus, not only holds a total of 1824 students, but also has a wide range of facilities, that makes everyday life at ISB so enjoyable.

Over the years, there has been a group of noticeable alumni who should be recognized for their success in today’s society:

• Michael Young (1970) – TV Personality & Host of “Kids Are People Too” (1978) Executive Producer “Shop Like a Star” (2008)
  • Tammy Duckworth (1985) – Senator of Illinois (D)- Elected November 8th 2016. Democratic United States House Representative in Illinois’s 8th congressional district – elected November 6, 2012.
  • Charm Onwarin Osathanond (2005) – Miss Thailand Universe 2006
  • Sarunrat “Lydia” Visutthithada (2005) – Famous Thai Pop Star, Performed in Manchester at the MCFC Thaksin Reception
  • Amalie Iuel (2013) – Member of Norwegian National Track Team in 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, competed in 400m hurdles event.

The administrators of ISB have also put in a word on what they think about the international school and what makes it special. Below you can see their quotes:

Kelly Armitage – Elementary School Principal: For our family, one of the biggest reasons ISB is such a special place is the emphasis on the Caring Community.  It feels like a village, and members contribute through a variety of ways. There are plenty of activities and ways to engage, and kindness and care are strongly felt in each context. It is easy for everyone to find a niche or a group, and feel a sense of belonging.”

Dennis Harter – Middle School Principal: “Ultimately, it’s the people here that make ISB special. The students, parents, teachers, and staff make this a community of warmth, learning, friendship, and Panther Pride.”

Philip Bradley – High School Principal: “ISB is certainly a wonderful and special school, partly because of the human touch! Even though we are a large organization people lookout for each other, people are kind to each other and care for each other – we also not afraid to say we can always improve, which is a great individual and organizational trait.

Andy Vaughan – High School Dean of Students: “When I work at ISB I feel like I’m part of a community, it’s a big place, but I know there are people here who care. It’s not so much that we have the amazing facilities and incredible opportunities here, but more that the people inside these walls are amazing and incredible.”

Graeme Scott – Deputy Superintendent: “There are many international schools all over the world, and indeed many here in Bangkok, and each of them has their own character and identity.  However ISB has a unique closeness and attachment to our community.  The school acts as the center for learning, as well as the community playground; the place we flock to when we celebrate and the place we gather when we need support.  Our teachers are extremely dedicated, with a tremendous sense of responsibility to the school and its students.  Our students are caring, creative and hardworking.  This combination of factors makes ISB our academic playground, and our social and emotional home.”

ISB has celebrated many different events, however, yesterday marked one of the biggest ones yet! Whether you are in a low or a high, ISB is a school that you can always count on to have your back! We cannot wait to celebrate many more anniversaries in the future!

Here is a link to see the school celebrating ISB’s anniversary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8TgqR1k7o&feature=youtu.be

Matthew Poulin