Missing Cutlery

Missing Cutlery

Because we can consider ourselves fortunate to attend a school like ISB, we should appreciate and respect the Thai Cafeteria staff and the ISB community. Currently, we are losing around 3000 pieces of cutlery and 100 green cups per year. Three years ago we had 1000 green cups available in the cafeteria. We now only have 250 cups left and may run out very soon and have to go back to using the plastic cups. PantherNation (black and gold) took the time to interview Epicure Catering Manager, Michelle Ihrig and asked her a few questions on the situation.

screen-shot-2016-11-23-at-9-50-18-am     

img_8484What I would just like to say is the overall attitude about when we take something that we return it. So in this case we are talking about plates, cutlery, cups, anything that comes out of the cafeteria that is reusable. We lose about 3000 pieces of cutlery a year and this is not only the students, this is school wide. However, if we could further continue to instill how important it is to return the items to a proper bussing bin around school I think that we can reduce the number of items that go missing each year and reduce the cost that it costs us to replace them.

screen-shot-2016-11-23-at-9-52-47-am

img_8482Actually, I think that this year already has improved a little bit, because now that club meetings are not held during lunchtime we have a lot less lunch meetings around school so a lot less stuff is leaving the cafeteria. How can we improve it? My first idea is just raising awareness about the fact that a lot of equipment goes missing and that we are trying to be a more green and environmentally responsible school. Another thing that goes missing quite a bit are the green cups at the fountain and at The Grind, and we get a lot of requests to remove plastic from the cafeteria and I am all for that if there is a way to really ensure that things are returned to the proper places. How exactly to do that I’m not sure, so I would love some student feedback if the students have feedback.

screen-shot-2016-11-23-at-10-02-15-am                                                                              It is about 3000 pieces every year and about 100 cups a year and bowls and plates we do not really have an idea of that yet as it seems to be the smaller pieces that go missing more quickly.

img_8487

Well there you have it, let us make sure that we clean up after ourselves and respect the Thai cafeteria staff.  This has been an ongoing issue this past year and hopefully us Panthers can make a change! As an individual you can better improve this situation, simply by emailing your suggestions and thoughts to [email protected] (Ms.Ihrig). And don’t forget to put your used cutlery, cups and plates in its’ proper bin, by taking small action we can save a lot of money that is used each year to buy new cutlery. The whole ISB community should pay more attention to this issue, this issue may lead to other problems in the future. In conclusion, as a tight community we should do as much as we can to help each other and respect the cafeteria department as they take a huge role in our daily life at school.

Giselle Yan