Swimming Exchange

The Panther swimmers race ahead. 
Credit: ISB Flickr
The Panther swimmers race ahead. Credit: ISB Flickr

The road to IASAS for ISB’s varsity swimmers is a particularly strenuous one. An important hurdle on this road is the exchange, a chance for athletes to see their progress and scale the competition. The swimming exchange this year was held in Jakarta, Indonesia, with all IASAS schools except TAS competing in the event.

Both the boys and girls teams fared extremely well at the exchange, with the boys winning gold in half of the exchange races. Sophomore Tar Tar Jarusinchai broke an ISB record for his time on the 200 meter and 400 meter freestyle. Other event winners for the boys included Chanon Sawintara and Jake Chairin.

The aim for the girls team was to prepare for their goal of “coming home with their 6th straight silver” at IASAS according to Coach Corry Day. Sidney Smith was the sole event winner on the girls side, taking the 50 meter freestyle as well as three second place finishes.

“The team did great. A lot of people stepped up and swam hard and fast” said Sidney. “Everyone has their individual races and personal goals. Exchange for us marks a starting point in our hard training towards IASAS” she continued, adding that an improvement she would ask of the team “would be to cheer a little louder.”

“Our team’s performance was very satisfying. We worked well as a team and we’re constantly bonding with each other” remarked sophomore Avery Martin. He went on to comment that the team is not ready yet for IASAS, claiming that the team needs to “work on [their] times because [they] want win gold this year.”

After a successful exchange, the ISB varsity boys are placed as favourites to triumph at IASAS. Whether they will ride the expectation or crack under it is yet to be seen; but if the exchange is anything to go by, gold is not out of reach.

Gian C