Introducing some of ISB’s newest additions!

Mr. Farrant, Mr. Madden, Ms. Marlowe
Mr. Farrant, Mr. Madden, Ms. Marlowe

Every year, ISB is blessed with a group of intelligent and passionate new teachers. This year is no exception, with many new staff joining our community. Despite being here for only three weeks, new teachers such as Mr. Michael Farrant, Mr. Seth Madden and Ms. Traci Marlowe have been impressed by the ISB community, and are looking forward to experience more of what being a teacher at ISB is like.

How have your experiences been as an ISB Teacher compared to a teacher at any other school you have taught at in the past?

Mr. Farrant: “I have taught at many schools internationally in a wide variety of cultures. ISB has impressed me greatly so far. Decisions are taken with student learning given priority, the atmosphere of the school is wonderful. Walking the halls, you feel a positive and vibrant energy. Teaching staff are incredibly professional and collaborative.”

Mr. Madden: “The students are brilliant, the staff here are supportive. The transition to Thailand and living here has been really, really easy. I definitely say that there is a real strong sense of community within the teaching staff and within the student body, and I think that support that is given to us as new teachers by existing staff.  The administration who is absolutely fantastic.  I definitely say ISB is a fantastic school.”

Mrs. Marlowe: “ISB reminds me a lot of the Hong Kong International School.  There is a really big sense of community here, and people are pretty progressive in their craft as far as teaching. That is something that struck me almost immediately.”

What ultimately influenced you to go for a career in teaching?

Mr. Farrant: “I enjoy learning with students. It is a great opportunity to work with those who will be so influential in the decades to come.”

Mr. Madden: “I think that the influences from my with my family life and my community I lived in, like I had a lot of positive influences in my life, like my mom, my dad and my high school art teacher, who was really really fantastic.”

Mrs. Marlowe: “I have always liked school, like either being in school or teaching, I just really loved school and learning, and being in that environment, and so it is just a natural fit for me.”

Do you have any comments that would inspire people to pursue a career in teaching?

Mr. Farrant: “If you want to be a part of positive and real change, then teaching is for you. This profession allows you to engage with and potentially inspire those who will be the changemakers of tomorrow.”

Mr. Madden: “This is very cliche, but if you are passionate about something, if you really like something, do it. And if you love working with people and you feel a sense of reward or well being when you see other people succeed, then I would really think teaching is viable option for you.”

Mrs. Marlowe: “I would say if it is something that you are passionate about, if you’re passionate about learning and inspiring other people to learn, it would be a good career choice. However, it is not for the faint of heart, it is not an easy job. It is one that like many other types of this so called helping professions that do consume a great part of your life, so it is something that you need to love to do.”

All of my questions that I had were met with fantastic answers from these three fine teachers. And even if they were not featured, you might be learning from any of the new additions to the ISB staff in your classes.

Jack D