How Free Do We Need To Be?

Credit: Jake New

It’s no secret that many students at ISB are incredibly busy. While walking down the halls, it is a common sight to see students rushing from classes to after school activities and sports.

ISB isn’t even empty of students on the weekends – you can always find a determined few pacing around, either attending a conference or catching up on lab work. It seems that ISB students have extremely full weeks and even weekends. The question is, when can these students get a break?

Free periods are a time for students to catch up on homework, study or just relax in between their classes. With the many credits that they are required to complete, it can be hard for students in their upperclassmen years to find space for a free period. Students who are doing the full International Baccalaureate diploma, who already have six demanding classes, also must take the Theory of Knowledge class for two semesters. Consequently, if they are committed to another elective class or must finish their PE credits, they will not have a free period for the most demanding years of high school.

Arya Bhai (12), a full IB student who has not had a free period for her years of IB, says, “With 8 full blocks, it can be quite overwhelming, especially with 6 IB classes.” She addds that “free periods are really important to dedicate school time. It’s true that a lot of people don’t use their frees wisely, but it does provide a good opportunity for everyone to just catch a break from their busy lives.”

Whether the students use their frees to study for a test or spend time catching up with their friends, it surely does provide those busy few with a brief moment to simply relax.

Katy Lewis