Breaking Up The Breaks

Credit%3A+HDW
Credit: HDW

Fall break, winter break, Songkran, King’s birthday, Queen’s birthday, Maka Bucha day, Chakri day; these are just some of the holidays and much-needed breaks from the exhausting academics that ISB brings upon the students and the staff.

We are given around two months for summer break. Many travel back to their home countries, visit family and friends, enjoy the lush beaches of Thailand and maybe even spend a glorious few weeks attempting to write a 4000 word Extended Essay. However you choose to spend it, summer is probably the most anticipated break of the year to kick back, and splash oh-so joyously in the salty waves.

This being said, there has been some discussion on whether the length of summer break should decrease, while the number of holidays through out the year increase.

Hanna White (11) states her opinion on whether she thinks summer should be shortened, “I think that would be a good idea beccause sometimes we go months with no break”. Gaby Dubas (12) shares the same opinion saying that the students “don’t have enough days off during the school year”.

While it may be amazing to have an extra day off during a week that’s filled with presentations and tests, a shortened summer may lead to more difficulty in traveling to all the places you’ve wanted to go, and seeing all the people you’d like to see. Either way, a holiday is a holiday and I’m sure I can speak for most of the ISB community when I say, we appreciate them in whatever form.

Chloe Griffith

View Comments (2)