Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

With 2016 now here, it only makes sense for people all over the world to look back on their life choices and set achievable goals for the new year. New Year’s resolutions are a great way to change for the better while keeping you busy. Not that being an ISB student isn’t busy enough, but these resolutions will give you something else to do in your free time when you aren’t studying or trying to finish your homework. Here are some New Year’s resolution ideas for this year, along with simple tricks and hacks for sticking to them.

1. Get In Shape

‘Lose weight”, get fit’ or ‘exercise more’ are some of the most common new year’s resolutions that we find almost everyone wants to achieve; the hardest part about them are managing to stick to them. A lot of people often give up with these resolutions pretty quickly or find that their methods don’t seem to work.

Here are some things everyone with this resolution should know:

It’s possible that you make lose five pounds of fat and gain five pounds of muscle, leaving you with the same weight. This is why weighing yourself with a normal scale isn’t always very helpful. Scales can be misleading, for example: things like fluid retention, caffeine and water consumption are some factors that can affect your weight. Instead of normal scales, you can use scales that measure your body fat percentage since it separates lean muscle from fat tissue instead of just giving you a measurement of your weight. Other things that you can use to see your progress could be taking measurements around your body.

Hacks:

– Drink as much water as possible! Drinking water helps you stay full which will help to keep those unhealthy temptations at bay. To drink a good amount of water throughout the school week, make sure you take a water bottle around with you to all of your classes.

– After a workout or sports practice, drink a protein shake. This will help you repair muscle damage while also cooling you down.

– Take healthy snacks around with you so that you’re never hungry, this will stop you from making bad food decisions.

1. Stop Procrastinating!

Procrastination is tempting for every student but it also makes balancing things such as sports and homework a hard task. If you often find yourself strolling through social media when you should really be studying or finishing your homework, you should stop yourself before it hurts you in the future.

Hacks:

– Download an app to stop you from procrastinating. There are many apps out there that will stop you from going on social media or playing games. Some of these apps include; Yelling Mom, Finish, Procraster and App Detox.

– Lock or place any distractions in another room so that you don’t touch them until completing any important assignments.

1. Make Time For Yourself

Although being apart of clubs and sports are good things, there’s a time when it becomes too much. It’s important that you make sure that you have enough time to finish homework, study and socialize with friends and family.

Hacks:

– Choose to join the clubs and sports that you enjoy the most

– Give yourself a limit to the number of clubs you join.

1. Try to venture around Bangkok

These are your final few years of high school and in most cases, your final years in Bangkok. Not only is it a great excuse for you and your friends and family to go out more often but it will also give you time to relax.

Hacks:

– Find days on your calendar where there is no school and plan an adventurous day out with your friends.

1. Try to be more understanding towards your parents

As a teenager, our parents can annoy us but it’s important to remember that they’re the ones who provide us with unconditional love and support.

Hacks:

– Every now and then, try to thank your parents for the things they do for you and putting up with you in general.

1. Research On Universities

This one’s more angled towards juniors, but it’s something that freshmen and sophomores can also benefit from. Researching on universities is an important task that every high school student should do, not only are you educating yourself on what universities have to offer, it will also help you decide the best fit for you. Some students don’t realise that there is more to an university than just its ranking or status in society.

Hacks:

– Go to university meetings offered at the school.

– Talk with your counselor if you want to get more information about universities.

– Sit down with your parents and have a discussion about it – they can give some good advice.

Enjoy the second semester and good luck with the new year!

Chloe S