De-Stressing Over Break

ShellyS via Flickr

The winter holiday’s are straight after one of the most stressful weeks known to every high school student; exam week. This makes it important for students to use the break as time off from the daily stress of tests, homework, projects and all the other responsibilites of being a high school student at ISB. It’s also a much needed time to use for catching up on sleep since many of us are sleep-deprived and often use caffeine as a survival tactic during the semester. Here are some tips and tricks that are guaranteed to make sure your winter break is ‘the most wonderful time of the year.’

Clearing The Mind

With exams over, there’s no need to keep your mind clouded with all the things you learnt in the first semester or stress about the few questions on your tests in which you completely know what you did wrong. Not only is there no point, but it will stop you from having a great time and relaxing. To do this, the two best ways for clearing your mind is meditation and exercise. These activities are very important because they provide you with stress-relieving endorphins. Other than that, meditation and exercise are also good ways to keep you fit and healthy over the break.

Stress-Free Hobbies

Make sure to keep relaxed by doing some fun and stress-free hobbies or activities since this will, once again, keep you calm and relaxed throughout the break. Wherever you are in the world, there are always ways to incorporate fun and healthy activities and so here are some ideas for both people staying in the southern or northern hemispheres.

Fun In The Sun (Southern Hemisphere)

1. Go To The Beach

Every summer has to have at least one beach or pool day! Go out enjoy the sound of breaking waves, the smell of the salt water and feeling of the soft sand between your toes.

1. Go Surfing

Wax up a surfboard and catch some waves! Not only is surfing fun and gives you great photo opportunities but it’s also a great way of staying fit. The sport itself is a form of cardiovascular fitness and provides many health benefits including an increase in arm, leg and core strength. It’s the perfect activity during the hot days as it’s bound to give you a great summer bod and at the same time, allow your skin to soak up the perfect amount of vitamin D.

1. Go On A Boat Ride

If you’re feeling like a day without any physical activity, going on a boat ride is another relaxing way to spend time on the water without the painful sore arms and legs that surfing leaves you with.

1. Cross Something Off Your Bucket List

Try something new that you haven’t got around to doing yet. It’ll give you a new experience along with something to talk about when you come back.. For those of you who don’t have a bucket list, make one!

1. Check Out Some Books

Lay on the beach and read some great stories with the great sound of breaking waves! It’s a great way to relax in comfort during the summer while making your english teacher happy.

Snowmen and Hot Chocolate (Northern Hemisphere)

1. Movie Marathon

Heat up some hot chocolate and open up Netflix! Just stay inside with the company of your warm bed and blanket as you let your inner coach potato shine while you catch up on episodes of your favorite tv show series. Not only is it easy and warm but it’s also a perfect way to spend time and snuggle with your dog, close friend, significant other or pillow (aka the best solution for loners like my younger sister Sophie).

1. Put on Your Favorite Pair of Sweatpants, Warm Hoodie or Onesie

Stay in and put on your favorite onesie or pair of sweatpants, along with a big warm hoodie as you listen to some calming music and prepare a warm mug of your favourite hot beverage.

1. Go For a Jog

Work off all the hot chocolate or any other fattening treats with some easy exercises like a quick jog or any type of workout that you can manage to do inside. This will keep you fit and warm during the duration of the break.

1. Go Ice Skating, Skiing or Sledging

Get warm and in the winter spirit in some of the funniest ways. Not only will you burn all the hot chocolate that you drank but you can do it without the need of running or doing full workouts; making exercise more enjoyable.

1. Bake Something

Go on Pinterest and find some easy delicious recipes to get into the warm mood of the holidays.

Chloe S.