A Modern ISB

As students, it is easy to come back from summer, completely unaware of all the maintenance that took place while we were away. However, it is always a pleasant surprise to find newly updated spaces at school. If you recall, the math quad and learning hub received a remodel almost two years ago, as well as the “Upper Grind” this past summer.

As the summer is quickly coming, so is the time that ISB brings in more modern design into its almost 27 year old campus! As the booster club has been a backbone to athletics, arts, and student life, it seemed fitting that the “Booster Hut” and its surrounding area would receive a new remodel and design, partially occuring this summer. We sat down with the school’s Chief Finance Officer, Marc DeVries, to talk about the designs and purpose of these remodels, as well as a few looks at some of the main changes in this remodel.

Future plan

“The main purpose of the renovation is to create a Community Hub that can serve the needs of students and parents in one central area.” explains Mr DeVries. “The Hub will combine CAO and the Arts & Activities Office, as well as a separate lounge for the PTA.” At the corner of the Hub, the crowd’s favorite “Booster Hut” will receive a cutting edge design to compliment the Hub and its new renovation. But how is all of this connecting back to designs made in previous years? “We try to have a consistent look for school refurbishments. This is achieved by using similar color-schemes, and maple wood furnishings.” Additionally, “similar designs for counters, carpeting and furniture are also similar.” However, every design comes with a purpose. And here, the plan is that “students and parents will be able to buy their tickets to the HS play, pay for their dance classes, and pay for their IASAS trip all in one place.”

The Booster Hut

Commonly known as the “Booster Hut”, the space where ISB parents sell clothes toys, and popcorn each Friday, is well overdue to get rid of its traditional Thai hut which has been here since this campus was built nearly 27 years ago! To replace its outdated design, the space will be featuring bright yellow, glassed over walls and black ceilings to represent ISB’s colors. “While it’s designed like a shop, it has the possibility of opening-up and transform into a stall.” described Mr. DeVries. This allows the Booster Hut to provide two functions, namely during the week it is a retail outlet selling all kinds of Panther merchandise.”

PTA & TA Lounge

The parents at ISB are owed a lot of credit. Through spending time on Fridays selling ISB merchandise, hosting events for faculty, and buying and supplying items such as IASAS bags and towels for students, they are constantly working to make our school a better place. In the spirit of appreciation, it is around time for the PTA and TA to receive a space where they can gather, plan, and enjoy themselves while at ISB. “In many of the new designs, you find more areas where people can meet and collaborate, and there’s more natural light.” Following this theme, the space is to feature white ceilings with long lights as well as two common areas. One containing lounge chairs and low tables, and the other with higher maple tables for planning and working. The PTA will also have access to kitchenware to make the space even more versatile.

CAO & Arts + Activities Office

The CAO office is where everything is. Where any ASA’s in the Elementary are organized, IASAS forms are submitted, and school wide events are planned. It is evidently a busy place which is why, like the PTA Lounge, it will feature high acoustic ceilings to reduce noise. Additionally, some model seating across the room and a large ISB graphic above the reception featuring the activities at ISB will added to the space. To compliment the curved outer walls of the Booster Hut (as well as the previously remodeled Admissions office) the CAO & Arts + Activities office “will have curved walls which move similar with the integrated lights in the ceiling.”

“ISB’s campus is 25 years old. In this time, best practices in education have changed, and we want our spaces to be cutting edge and learning driven.” ISB’s drive to create world class facilities has paid off as staff, students, and their families are able to work and learn in a place that acknowledges that the environment has a huge impact of education.