A heartwarming message to Mr A !

Goodbyes are always hard, especially when bidding farewell to   such a beloved teacher like Mr. A – the former HS drama teacher. Mr. A left the high school last year and is currently is working with the middle school drama department.

It is quite obvious that after being a part of the high school for 3 years, there are quite a few things he misses.  He explained that the one thing he misses most is  “definitely the students, I miss joking around with them and having these learning opportunities where we really analyzing and breaking things down in theatre.”

The journey from high school and middle school is a big change. But because Mr. A has taught both these divisions he is able to  spot the striking  differences between high school and middle school. He said, “middle school students will jump at every opportunity with everything you give them. Whatever exercise, whatever game, whatever task it is, the middle school students will just jump at it.  They have  so much energy, whereas in high school, you kind of have to push them. They are always keen to learn, but because they have already figured themselves out and they know what they like and what they don’t like.”

Mr. A is incredibly loved by his students. Two  of his students, Grace Armstrong (12)  and Jeannie Macrae (12), have a small message for him :

Grace – “I think theatre teachers are different from other teachers in the sense that since theatre is a smaller class and we tend to have a lot of fun with each other, the relationship with a theatre teacher or director is one that tends to be closer than with other teachers. In my opinion, it has to be close like that, because theatre can be stressful, tiring, and even pretty vulnerable at times (though overall incredibly rewarding and fun!). So when Mr. A left halfway through our IB Theatre course, it was pretty hard knowing we would have to get used to a new teacher. I was worried I would not be as close to Mr. A now that he is in the middle school. But I still talk to him and see him around all the time, so that is something I am really grateful for. Though we do not see Mr. A as much, we know he is still rooting us on. He watches our productions and we can get advice from him about our theatre projects and stuff like that. Also, now there is no stress about him casting/grading/directing us, so the dynamic has changed to be a little more friendly, too, I think. But of course I miss him. He always has great stories, is an excellent pep talker, and practices what he preaches. We love you, Mr. A!”

Jeannie – “Theatre is a place where you can often  feel embarrassed, nervous and self-conscious, yet it is  the people you’re with that make the world of difference. You need to be able to feel vulnerable when exploring theatre and this can be a scary thing, especially when you may not have the highest opinion of yourself and abilities. Mr. A is the kind of guy who doesn’t believe in self-deprecation. He makes sure that you feel comfortable, happy and included within the class and out of it. Mr. A is always around to give advice, hugs, and comfort and is hands down one of my favourite people on the planet! He is such an amazing person, and of course I miss seeing him everyday, but there is something about the combination of not being his student anymore and being a senior that I think brings a whole new positive element to our friendship! The dynamic has changed for sure but I think I am okay with it. He is our #1 fan and we are all his! I wish I saw him more often but I am happy that he is happy and I am so grateful that he’s in my life and that he will still be officiating my wedding! SO much love Mr.A!

Mr, A being the sweetheart he is, also has a message for his seniors. He said “It has been nice to see them in the hallways because I am not that far and I wish the best of luck in their final year.  I am sure they will do well and I am very proud of them. I have seen a couple of things they have done this year. In ‘Almost, Maine’, to all the students that I did recognize in ‘Almost, Maine’, I am so proud of everything they have done and the growth they have shown, they are just wonderful and beautiful and amazing to watch.”

Well it is clear that Mr. A is greatly missed in the HS a lot but clearly he is being the best of himself and an amazing teacher in the MS too!

Aarushi Singh