The PantherNation Long Talk: Mr. Macky

September 26, 2019

The Long Talk offers a chance to sit down with the various personalities in the ISB community and get to know them a little bit better. Mr. Macky is a High School math teacher and an assistant coach to the Varsity volleyball team and has been teaching at ISB since 1997. Here at Panther Nation we interviewed him and learned a little about his life before and at ISB.

Where did you grow up, and how was that experience different than what students here at ISB experience?

I grew up in New Wilmington, PA, in the U.S. The town’s population was under 2,000 and we had only 1 stoplight. The town was in the middle of farm country, and many of the farms in the area were Amish. It was the exact opposite of big-city life and it was wonderful. 

Where were you before ISB, and what experiences stand out to you?

A day in the life...

We lived in Ecuador for 2 years, in Pennsylvania for a year, and my wife and I met in Kenya before that. I did several climbs of Mt. Kenya and lots of hikes in the Andes in Ecuador, which are wonderful memories.

What are your passions and hobbies? 

I enjoy reading & I like traveling to new places. I love the chance in the summertime to be outdoors, hiking and camping.

How has ISB changed in the 22 years since you’ve been here?

The campus has had a lot of additions (the CC building, the Sports Complex); teachers seem to stay for less time than they used to; and the HS has put a lot more emphasis on the IB program, including switching from letter grades to the 1-7 system. This has led to an increase in student stress, which is a shame.

What made you become a teacher?

I worked for an organization called Young Life while in Kenya. Young Life is a Christian group that works with teenagers who have little to no religious background; its purpose is to help students decide for themselves what their approach to faith in life will be. While working for YL, I coached and substituted at the International School of Kenya, and found that I really enjoyed it. I then went back to university in the U.S. to get my teaching license.

If you could give advice to your high school self, what would you say

Be humble. Remember to always consider the well-being of the people around you. And be grateful for the blessings you have in your family & friends.