Spirit Night September 27th: Why Everyone Should Go

September 24, 2019

Silence.

And then a huge roar.

Students shouting, stamping feet and people banging on waterbottles. People milling about the breezeway. Subway. Baan Kimchi. Cafe Kabul. Booster tent with candy and Ozzie pops. Face painting. Buzzer sounds. It’s Spirit Night!

Spirit Night is coming up on September 27th, and here are 3 reasons why everyone should go:

Community

Spirit Night is a great opportunity to support your classmates, have fun with friends and be a part of the greater ISB community. While mostly directed at sports, Spirit Night can help people bond with others and have a great time. Vienna Sparks (10) said that she likes Spirit Night because it’s a fun time to hang out with friends and “as an athlete – [she] really appreciates when people cheer on and support ISB”. Spirit Night is also a great chance to destress, have fun and not worry about school. Shea Tan (10) added that “it is [great] use of my time to socialize and show school spirit” and “Because it’s a Friday; no work is due the next day”. Not only does Spirit Night help build school spirit, but students can also get house points by signing in, and helping their house win at the end of the year! Spirit Night is a great experience to build community spirit, cheer on your friends and relax from a busy week.

The atmosphere is energetic, there’s good food and good music

— Xuan Fan Loo (12)

Food

As everyone knows, Spirit Night is a great chance to get great food. Subway offers great sandwiches and cookies, and Baan Kimchi is great for sushi and gyoza lovers. Cafe Kabul is a great Indian restaurant for samosas, wraps, as well as biryani rice. Cherry’s Kitchen and Alice’s Pizza are also regular vendors, sporting smoothies, cookies, pizza and more! Xuan Fan (12), one of the Varsity Council members said that “The atmosphere is energetic, there’s good food and good music”. Another member of the Varisty Council, Thomas Bulow (12), reiterated that “There are lots of great food and vendors.”

What’s Different This Year

This year’s Season 1 Spirit Night, also showcases the UNHCR Run. People can buy tickets throughout the week for the run to raise money for refugee families in Thailand. Pleng Kruesopon (10), an officer of the UNHCR club said,  “Each year refugee families travel 2 billion km in order to reach safety, and by coming out and supporting this cause, it will help emphasize how strongly we as a community value being globally minded and caring citizens.” Come show your support for refugees, and sign up for this run below or during lunch. Not only is there a fundraising run, but the ISB Dance Team is also performing during one of the Volleyball games. Mr. Quinet, the ISB Athletics Coordinator also said to keep your eyes out for “a few other surprises!”

Mr. Quinet added that Spirit Night is “a great opportunity to support our student-athletes and teams, hang out with friends, and eat tasty treats under the lights” and he would like to remind everyone to “wear your Black and Gold, show your Panther Pride, and don’t miss this Spirit Night!” Here is the schedule for this Friday:

Game Schedule

4:30 pm – Varsity Boys Football vs. ICS

6:00 pm – Varsity Cross Country opens UNHCR run

6:45 pm – Varsity Girls Football vs. Grace

6:45 pm – Varsity Girls Volleyball vs. Stamford

8:00 pm – Varsity Boys Volleyball vs. Grace

UNHCR Refugee Run

How do I sign up?

1. Sign up through this link
  2. Starting from the 16th of September until the 27th, we will be selling tickets at the high school cafeteria, during our lunchtimes (10:35 – 11:35 pm) and after school (2:25 – 3:00 pm) so look out for our posters! 

How much does it cost to run? 

1. Tickets = 100 baht 
  2. Shirts = 300 baht 
  3. Shirt + Ticket = 300 Baht 

Location: Track 

Run time: 6:00pm – 6:30pm 

Carnival games: Open from 3:30 – 7:30pm 

See the website attached below to find out more about how you can add individual km to the worldwide count, through your own personal fitness apps. 

https://stepwithrefugees.org/th/

If you have any questions or would like to learn more about our cause, please do not hesitate to contact me through any of my other handles listed below. I would be more than happy to help and I hope to see you soon! 

Email: [email protected]

Line: isb15473