Long Talk – Mr.Thomson

May 8, 2019

(photo credits: Basil Tahan)

It’s coming to the end of another school year, and as always we have to say goodbye to some of our teachers here at ISB. As part of an ongoing series, PantherNation sits down with departing staff to get their thoughts on their time on ISB, and where they are going next.

Mr.Thomson has been a science teacher at ISB for the past 5 years. His wacky ties light up the room every time he walks in class. He is very caring, trustworthy, and has made many kind contributions to many learners in this school. His love for all things chemistry has given all of his students the same passion for the sciences, and whichever school has him next will be a lucky one. 

What is your favorite part of being a teacher at ISB?

Easily the students I’ve taught and the friends I’ve made here at ISB. I’ve been quite lucky in my five years here to teach some amazing students. They laugh at my chemistry jokes (maybe as a courtesy), they work hard, they are curious, and they are all around good people. As for friendships, each international school I’ve taught at has brought me new friends – and the same is true of ISB.

Where are you going next year?

I’ll be moving back to Seattle, Washington. It’s my home town – and of course where I went to university as well. Go Huskies! I have a potential job at a school there, but since it’s not official yet I’ll just say that I hope to be teaching chemistry at a school in the area. I’ll also be working towards my principal certification so I can move into leadership in a few years.

What has been your favorite memory of ISB?

So many great memories, there are too many to list. Here are a few:

“Manta! Manta! Manta!”

“Night Diiiiive!”

(GCW references, if you’re not sure…)

The many concerts, dance performances, art exhibitions, and sporting events I’ve attended to watch students follow their passion is high on this list also.

Mr. Marshall and Ms. Gricius allowing me to join them for “Pumped Up Kicks” for Night Under the Stars.

And many others.

What would you say is your most memorable accomplishment here?

That’s a difficult question. Truthfully I think you need to ask my students – but I’m certainly proud of all that I have given to ISB. One thing that comes to mind is the High School Science Society – but that’s not my accomplishment at all. The success of that club – which started when a few students approached me nearly five years ago – has been completely student-driven. I’m certainly proud to be part of that, even though my role was very small.

What advice would you give students?

My biggest piece of advice is this: Define your own reality. Don’t let others dictate how you feel about something. Decide for yourself.

Is there anything else you would like to share?

Thank you, ISB, for a wonderful five years! I wish you all the best.

Thanks.

Mr. T

We are sad to see Mr. Thomson go, and we wish him luck in his future plans. In his 5 years at ISB, he has taught many students and ISB and brought smiles to even more. Mr. Thomson has made a great impact on ISB and its students, and we are sure that he will carry that same positive influence wherever he goes next.