Most Challenging Time in High school

January 15, 2019

For some, high school is synonymous with stress and sleep deprivation; for others, adrenaline and excitement. As young adolescents begin growing both intellectually and physically, not only does coffee become a necessity (in some case an addiction), but academics and extracurricular activities begin consuming larger portions of time. They also come to the realisation that the abundance of leisure time which they once possessed, has now dwindled and suddenly become far more limited and precious.  

Everyone’s high school journey differs, with each individual suffering their own challenges. For some, the most challenging part of high school may be the transition from middle to high school. During this transition, students often feel overwhelmed and intimidated as they struggle to adjust to an increased workload and fight for a place on either their preferred sports team, or for a performing arts role. High school counselor Mr. Callahan mentions, “Right when students enter ninth grade, they have to make a big transition from the expectations of middle school to the independence and obligations of high school. “

Right when students enter ninth grade, they have to make a big transition from the expectations of middle school to the independence and obligations of high school.

— Mr. Callahan (Counselor)

In addition, many high school students also argue that the most challenging time of high school begins during the second semester of Junior year, and continues into the first semester of Senior year. Many students mention that this may be due to the fact that when second semester of Junior year begins, the IB Program is in full swing, causing students an abundance of additional stress which forces them to better their time management skills between academics and extracurricular activities.

Mr. Callahan mentions that “the most pressure packed semesters are definitely the second semester of Junior year and first semester of Senior year, in that students are not only worried about their present performance, but also about their future possibilities and applying for universities while also working on completing IB or partial IB.”

Yale University emphasizes that students should “be honest with yourself when deciding between different courses. Are you choosing a particular course because you are truly excited about it and the challenge it presents, or are you also motivated by a desire to avoid a different academic subject?” In order to avoid academic struggle and ensure that one’s high school experience is as smooth as possible, students should aim to enroll in classes which they truly enjoy and which allow them to follow their passions.

Similarly, Mr. Callahan adds, “I think the most important thing is that if you’re true to yourself and if you pursue the things you like and enjoy, things will work out for you. Many students for example, think that if they study business then somehow they will be able to earn a living, but I think that the most important thing is to be able to pursue the things you like and you’re good at.”  

Camilla Purdy (10) expresses, “I think that the workload is the hardest part of high school. At most times the work is reasonable, but there are occasional weeks that for some reason seem so over packed and full of work from every class. Sometimes it can seem like teachers forget about the other subjects in school, and the compounding of each class can be terrible. The weeks before holiday breaks or leading up to exam season seem to be the most difficult and a lot of times, all classes have upcoming tests and deadlines. At ISB, I don’t think that the social aspect of high school is much of a struggle for most people. I think a lot of students focus on their studies and seem to make friends along the way.”

Other challenging aspects of high school include preparing for TEDx Talks, which students experience during junior year. Although students initially find this process stressful, they also mention that the experience is extremely rewarding.

I personally found the first semester of senior year to be the most challenging time of high school, mainly due to the workload. On top of CAS, finishing the EE, turning in the majority of IAs in order to pass IB, there was also the additional stress of meeting university application deadlines.

— Nikki Ling (12)

Camilla also reminds students, “I think students should just always remember that one test won’t determine the rest of their lives. ISB can have such high standard and you can constantly hear people complaining about their “terrible 6” they received on a test. Don’t be hard on yourself! I find that being active is a good way to take your mind off of school for a while for just a little bit. Short breaks are the most effective and it will be easier to get back into doing work. Also, remember to spend time with your friends because high school is also about finding life long friendships!”

Nikki Ling (12) advises future upperclassmen to “Finish your CAS project early, so that it’s not something you have to worry about in your senior year. Also, it’s a great idea to finish your EE over the summer between junior and senior year; it alleviates a lot of stress. Finally, I would recommend that people should make a detailed list of all their university application deadlines to know exactly what you have to do and when you have to do it.”

Many students have difficulty in enjoying what they are doing. They feel pressure that in order to be successful in the competitive future as they feel they need to go above and beyond their own expectations, their parents’ expectations, and their friends’ expectations. Mr. Callahan mentions, “all these expectations combined reduce the amount of enjoyment students get out of the things they do and increase their amount of anxiety, because so many kinds think that they can never do enough. This makes me feel bad because so many of the kids here are such great kids and doing such great things, but they are just never satisfied. It’s hard on a young person.”

In my opinion, high school is a collective journey filled with stress, rewards, and experiences which allow students to shape their personalities and mindsets to stay competitive in the future. I don’t believe that a single part of high school can be branded as “the most challenging.” Rather, there are a variety of aspects which make certain moments of high school more stressful and challenging than others. Whether it be transitioning into high school, moving to a new high school, preparing for TEDx Talks and finals, or even finding the appropriate college/classes to apply for. The ups and downs of high school thoroughly prepare students for life after secondary education. As long as students stay motivated, they will find  themselves cultivating memories which will stick with them for the rest of their lives.