GCW Spotlight: Reefs to Rainforests

February 21, 2018

For those who have stayed in Thailand for their GCWs, it can often seem like this means your GCW will be less fun than those of your friends who have left. However, this is a misconception, as there are many fun in-Thailand GCWs. One of the most popular happens to be Reefs to Rainforests, in which students travel around the South of Thailand, participating in various activities to help them expand their understanding of Thai culture.

Just from reading the itinerary, the trip sounds like an adventure from beginning to end, with students exploring caves, going on night safaris, snorkeling in coral reefs, and hiking in rain forests. Nikki Ling, a junior who attended the trip this year, states, “I chose Reefs to Rainforests because I had heard from other people’s experience that it was a very fun trip. And, the description sounded like such an amazing experience because it included cave exploring, kayaking, and visiting waterfalls.”

One of the biggest and best parts of GCW is, without a doubt, the bonds formed between students, and to Nikki, this was the best part of her GCW. “The best part about this trip was definitely the friendships made.” She states, “At first, I was a little worried because I was not that close with the majority of the people on the trip. However, at the end, I had a close bond with almost every single person! We are now a family with unbreakable bonds.”

Nonetheless, with so much adventure packed into every day, students can definitely expect to be subject to harsh suns, unrelenting bugs, and sore muscles. Students who went on the trip recommend bringing lots of bug spray and sunscreen, tiger balm, hats, and sturdy shoes for hiking. Being more comfortable on the trip means you will have a much better time! Nikki states, “I found hiking extremely difficult, just because I am terrible at hiking. I kept tripping over everything and everyone, but it was still fun.”

If you are thinking about going on the trip next year, the students have a few words of advice for you. “Do not be worried if you are unfamiliar with the people on the trip,” Nikki states, “you will grow to love each other so much. And most importantly, HAVE FUN! This was honestly the best GCW I have ever been on! I am so glad that I had the opportunity to meet so many great people and share amazing experiences.”

Would you like to go on the Reefs to Rainforests trip next year? Leave your thoughts in the comment section down below!

Darin Sumetanon

PantherNation • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in