How to Survive GCW If You Did Not Get Your First Choice

screen-shot-2016-12-05-at-11-36-21-pm

To all high school students: congratulations to everyone who got their first choice, and for the people who did not, we all pray for you.  It is always difficult when you do not get your first choice,  so here are eight tips on how to survive GCW if you were not given your first choice.

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-08-32-am

Do not beg Mr. Vaughan to transfer you into another GCW

It is not going to work.  Unless you can find someone on the trip you wanted who wants to be on the GCW that you wanted, it is impossible to add another person into a GCW.

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-08-43-am

Find out who is on the same GCW as you, and build closer bonds with them. 

It is always great to have a friend during GCW.  This could be a great new way to make new friendships!

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-08-52-am

Research your GCW trip. 

Talk to people who went on the one that you got and talk to your advisor. They can give you a lot of helpful tips and more information on the trip.

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-09-01-am

Worship the friends who switch to be on the same GCW as you. 

They are true friends and they are amazing.

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-09-10-am

Understand that the friends who got the GCW that you originally wanted might and probably will talk about it.

Do not get mad at the friends who talk about it all the time, because it is probably going to happen.  This should be expected, because they are going to be very excited about GCW, and might not always be considerate of your feelings.

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-09-20-am

If you do get mad, do it in a way that is not super hurtful or just talk to them about it.

They probably have no idea that what they say is actually hurting you.

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-09-28-am

Make the best out a negative situation.

What may seem like the worst luck ever at the start might actually be the best trip of your life by the end.  Do not beat yourself up over it in the months leading up for GCW.  Make yourself excited for it!  Watch videos that upperclassmen who went on the trip have made, and talk to others that have been on the trip.

screen-shot-2016-12-02-at-8-09-36-am

Enjoy it! 

GCW is a once in a lifetime opportunity that few get to experience – the program that ISB offers is amazing and unique.  Each and every trip is unique.  You will never experience anything like it once you graduate high school, and by that point just remember that you’ll miss it so much you’d give anything to go on the GCW trip that was your last choice.

This GCW, make sure to have a great time and make lots of memories.  Remember that you will retell the stories of your GCW trips again and again, and that you are not alone – other people have not gotten their first choices, and survived.

Darin Sumetanon