Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

Panther Trails – Becky Bradley

Name: Becky Bradley

ISB Class of: 2016

College: University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Years in College: 1 

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-8-22-53-am

1.What career path are you pursuing?

I am pursuing a major in Human Geography and Spanish, however I am currently taking a variety of courses including Psychology and Economics.

1.  How would you describe the transition from ISB to your new College?

In general, the transition from ISB to UBC was quite smooth much to my surprise. In terms of academics it has been quite a comfortable transition because nothing compares to the rigor and demand of the IB – however, second year students at UBC tell me that it will get much harder during my second year.

The hardest part of my transition has definitely been adjusting to the cold weather. As someone who has always lived in a tropical country I find it tough to go outside when the weather is wet and cold (Vancouverites tell me that this is ‘nothing’ compared to how cold it will get…YIKES)! I am finding the cold weather rather debilitating and I have to motivate myself a lot to go outside for a run which was never the case in Bangkok.

1. Do you feel ISB prepared you well for your College experience (both academically and socially)?

ISB 100% prepared me for university and the real world. Growing up at a school with such a diversity of cultures developed my open mindedness and ability to try and understand other individuals and their situations no matter the circumstance. Thus coming to UBC I have been able to fit and connect with people from all sorts of backgrounds enabling me to make lots of friends.

1. What advice would you give to this year’s Seniors as they follow in your footsteps next year?

As for advice, my number one thing is to work VERY hard. Although it might be tempting to slack off senior year – DO NOT! It will pay off so much in the long run. So many times I wanted to give up during the IB but I always reminded myself that it would be worth it and it so was!

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-8-23-10-amSince I worked incredibly hard during the IB I can now relax and have a great time at University. Plus, if you’re thinking that the IB does not matter for the US… it does as you can get a lot of transfer credits meaning you can graduate earlier or take more time to discover what your interests are in university since you have more leeway for picking courses. Also…the euphoric feeling of doing well in the IB is indescribable…work hard just for that feeling! Of course do not forget to have fun but most importantly work hard. Another piece of advice is to never fear asking for help. That was probably the factor that enabled me to achieve the most success at ISB – the fact that I was not scared to ask my teachers, my peers or my parents for help. They are your personal resources so use them! 

Lastly, please don’t worry about a University’s reputation too much. As long as you can see yourself developing, growing, experiencing success, having fun and being happy at a University then that is a good choice for you. I feel looking back at ISB I was often plagued by the notion of attending a University that others knew of or was considered ‘good’ by my peers but seriously that stuff does not matter once you get to University. Pick a university for YOU and no one else. I cannot imagine myself anywhere else but UBC. I love it so much but last year when I was making the decision I was so hesitant to come here because of what other people thought.

1. Any other thoughts to share?

One last thought is to enjoy your last year at ISB. I know everyone tells you this but I cannot emphasize enough how much time will fly by. I promise you it feels like just yesterday I was walking across the stage at graduation. It feels like only seconds ago I was thinking about University and then two seconds later I was graduating and then three seconds later I was at UBC. So in all seriousness, make the most of every moment. Life is good. You guys (and myself) are so fortunate to attend/have attended ISB so make the most of it! Work hard play hard! Once a panther, always a panther <3

View Comments (4)