Anonymous Badger

Anonymous+Badger

From pigeon mail to electronic mail, and from telegrams to telephones– the advancement of technology and the modernization of our times has brought upon us the evolution of cultural norms. It is a conspicuous and continuous movement, one that, without cessation, has been revolutionizing the way human beings interact with one another.

But here, in our own school, the usage of social media has held a profound effect on many facets of our small community. Various means of communication, through social media, allow us to be wiped of our identity and take on anonymity.

On Pantherline, we are encouraged to ask questions with the attractive factor that the ISB faculty giving guidance and advice will not be able to trace back the question to its respective inquisitor. On Compliments ISB, a simple message or comment will be posted and make someone’s day, without any credit to whoever addressed them in the first place. On almost any medium of online communication, literally anybody is able make an account and interact with other users. But what does this mean for the ISB high school body?

Students agree that the option of remaining anonymous definitely alters a person’s sociality with other users. Ice Somboon (11), said that because people “[are] not really concerned [about their identity being revealed], they can say whatever they want to say.” She continued, “It is good, in a way, since they can ask the questions that they really want to but maybe can’t because [of] whatever reason.” However, Ice also addressed the negative side of anonymity, as “people who are disrespectful can take this ‘opportunity’ to troll that person or organization.”

Elaine Fang (12), said that users “usually take advantage of the fact that they cannot see the other person, so they cannot feel their emotions or sympathize with them.” She mentioned that “you could easily mask who you are online [and therefore] can get away from saying harmful things.”

There are clearly two sides to this issue. The positive aspect of this option is highly beneficial, as yes, the aspect of becoming anonymous empowers users of these social mediums to give positive feedback, spread knowledge, raise awareness to an issue, or support fellow peers with encouraging comments. However, the other, often overlooked component is that there is a possibility that users might form a habit of voicing their opinions through the use of purely anonymous means. And this is a very dangerous thing. One should not be dependent on anonymity to be able to do what one thinks is right, or just.

A recent affair concerning students’ objection to the new gate, for example, was brought to ISB High School Faculty’s attention via the use of an anonymous email, resulting in intervention to improve the situation.

Would any form of intervention have taken place if it was not for the option of anonymity? Perhaps, but there is a higher probability that this would not have occurred. I believe that students should be able to convene enough courage to address such sensitive issues face-to-face, and be comfortable enough to share this kind of information directly with the staff.

Students should be aware that if one addresses an issue, that if one asks for their identity to be protected while disclosing information, that the staff will follow through with that specific request.

Although it may seem impossible to picture–many years ago, before it became as simple as a few clicks to share information, the formality of similar situations would not have been undermined.  As social beings, we should respect one another, cooperate with one another, and form relationships with one another. We should not be dependent on the factor of anonymity to communicate our thoughts or ideas. We should, then, definitely not be dependent on the factor of anonymity to stand up for our beliefs.

If one decides to remain silent because of fear of tarnishing one’s reputation, in time, the standard and quality of our interactions, our values as human beings, will be jeopardized. Do not become a part of the ignition of the anonymity movement if it isn’t beneficial to mask your identity. Show pride in yourself, you are the only one who truly can!

Paola L