Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

The Crisis Response Team

Credit%3A+PicStar
Credit: PicStar

Just a few weeks ago, a tragic bombing at the heart of Bangkok shook the nation and filled everyone with fear. In a time of such uncertainty, it is our innate response to seek refuge from an established source or an authority figure. We often find ourselves following the progress through the reports on TV and the updates on Facebook, in a desperate attempt to comprehend the situation. Many of our students also search for news from a closer source: the administration at ISB. The PantherNation sat with Dr. Andy Davies, the Head of School, to gain insight on the procedure that ISB follows when these crises occur.

Dr. Davies shared that the first step is “to gather the Crisis Response Team on the ISB Campus.” Their main priority is the safety of the students and staff, and together they assess the situation accordingly with “security details from embassies, the Thai police, army, Ministry of Education and other international schools in Bangkok.” While the main conversation of the Crisis Response Team is to “receive expert advice and react fittingly,” Dr. Davies also adds that it is necessary in some cases to discuss “the motive or the party responsible for the damage” in order to plan more effectively for the future.

The team also “contacts Montri to see if the bus routes are able to run.” Although location of the ISB campus and its “strong connections with the Thai police and armed forces allow the school to keep everyone safe,” Dr. Davies asserts that the chief concern is the transportation to and from school. ISB is also prepared to meet the needs of the students and faculty on their campus if the situation should exacerbate during the school day. The “Safe Haven” procedure ensures that everyone on ISB grounds is provided with shelter, food and other basic necessities “to provide time to organize a safe journey home, or arrange home-stays with the local families.”

After undergoing extensive discussion and careful deliberation upon the reports, the team will decide whether it is safe to open school. In some instances, school will open as usual but the after school activities may be cancelled to prevent students from getting caught in traffic. Other times, locations like the Emporium Suite will be used to provide a safe location for parents to pick their children.” In extreme cases, the “government will order all schools to close.” When the final decision is made, the school will communicate through the ISB website, SMS and also Facebook updates. Dr. Davies notes that “if it safe, ISB always wants students to attend school.”

This is a time of uncertainty in Thailand and Dr. Davies would like to advise all the students and staff to “be extra vigilant in popular tourist areas like shopping malls and places with large crowds,” as well as to “communicate regularly with family members and friends.” We can never lose by being too cautious; it is when we take safety for granted that the precarious nature of our world will work adversely towards us.

Sarah L

View Comments (1)