Getting To Know The New Athletics Director, Mr. Quinet

Introduction: With Mr.Vaughan’s change in office, the ISB community will be welcoming a new athletics director, Mr. Derrick Quinet. Prior to his arrival at our school, Panther Nation was able to get a hold of him and ask a few questions to get to know him better!

Where are you from? How does this influence your job?

I’m from Seattle, WA, where we are proud of our city, our sports, our culture, and even our weather! Growing up in Seattle was amazing, and I had the opportunity to be a part of excellent athletic programs with tremendous school and community spirit. This experience definitely has an impact on the way I approach my job, with enthusiasm and joy.

How long have you been an athletics director?

I’ve worked as an athletic director for the past 15 years, and I’ve been involved in sports coaching and management forever.

What were you first impressions on athletics at ISB the first time you came to our campus?

I was extremely impressed by the friendly, welcoming atmosphere and the world-class facilities. The campus is energetic, healthy, and visibly focused. It was great to see so many athletes and coaches working hard to improve. I met so many people who care passionately about the school. I have to say, I’m pretty excited.

Do you have any plans or ideas which may improve athletics at ISB?

I look forward to hearing about what works well at ISB and which areas we can target to improve. We will seize new opportunities to celebrate our student-athletes and build school spirit, pushing our Panther Pride to new heights. As coaches, we will continue to seek out professional growth opportunities,  learn from one another, and improve our practice.  I can’t wait to collaborate with ISB’s talented staff, dedicated parents, and committed students in our pursuit of athletic excellence. Go Panthers!

Have you worked at any other IASAS schools before moving to Bangkok? If so, what was it like working at these schools?

I haven’t worked at an IASAS school before, although I have many friends and colleagues who have. I’ve always heard great things!

How many countries have you lived in? Which one was your favorite so far, and why?

Counting the USA, I’ve lived in seven countries. I lived in Kenya for eight years. Both of my daughters were born there and it still feels like home. Kenya is a beautiful country, with wonderful people, full of diversity, opportunity, and creativity. If you’re planning a trip to the region, you must spend some time there.

From what aspects of your life do you draw inspiration for your job?

I attended public school in Seattle, which was a very different upbringing from that of an international school student. I saw first-hand what a difference participating in a high-quality sports program made in the lives of children. My life would have been much different if it weren’t for the dedicated, selfless effort of my parents, teachers, and coaches. I became driven to help students achieve goals, overcome adversity, and believe in themselves. Sport provides such a unique forum to develop character and nurture a growth mindset, and working in athletics is so rewarding when you see the positive impact it has on students and the community. That’s all the inspiration I need.

What interests you outside of your job?

Outside of my job I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling, and relaxing at the beach. I love food, sports, and friends, and anything that brings all three of those together. My family and I are very excited to explore all the beautiful places in Thailand.

What is your favorite sports team and why?

I’m a lifelong fan of all the Seattle sports teams. The Seahawks have been on fire the last few years, and the Mariners will be tough this season.  I’m still a Sonics fan (even though they left town), and I am really impressed by what the San Antonio Spurs have achieved as an organization.

Conclusion:

We can’t wait to meet Mr. Quinet once he arrives for the 2015-2016 school year; he seems to have efficient plans in hopes of improving athletics at ISB, and we are thrilled to get to know him even better in the upcoming school year.

Stella Kim and Sofi Sintes