Panther Trails – Varisa Limpijankit

Tufts Freshman Speaks!

March 26, 2018

ISB Class: 2017

College: Tufts University

What career path are you pursuing?

Right now I’m pursuing the pre-medical track. I’m thinking of majoring in Bio-psychology or Biochemistry and minoring in History.

How would you describe the transition from ISB to your new college?

The transition was definitely a bit of a mixed bag. I struggled a bit with the culture shock and trying to re-establish a new social network after having lived in the same country and community for 10 years. Also, the political climate in America is very different from that in Thailand, so navigating around that was interesting. The first couple of weeks at College were the toughest because I had to say goodbye to my parents and everything is so overwhelming, but once classes started and I began establishing a routine, it was much more manageable. My transition was ultimately very rewarding. And now I’ve absolutely fallen in love with the supportive and active community at Tufts. Coming back for the second semester, I feel like I’ve settled in nicely with a solid group of friends and professors.

Do you feel ISB prepared you well for your college experience (both academically and socially)?

Academically, I think ISB prepared me incredibly well for college. Especially having done the full IB program, the intense college workload and expected academic level of writing wasn’t such a shock. The IB is unique in that it really molded me into a critical and unbiased thinker and I think that approach set me apart from other non-IB students. Moreover, the content taught in a lot of intro courses was content that I had already covered in the IB, but, of course, in more depth. Still, the prior knowledge that ISB provided gave me a huge advantage. I felt less prepared socially than academically. I had spent all four years of high school at ISB, cultivating strong friendships and connections. So I felt like a fish out of water having to find a new group of friends. Furthermore, moving from a small student body size to a much larger one was also surprising. It was weird for me to walk around campus and not being able to recognize everyone, like I used to be able to do at ISB. But at the same time, it means I get to meet new and incredible people every day. Regarding diversity, ISB is very ethnically diverse and I feel incredibly privileged to have been exposed to so many cultures growing up. Most schools in the U.S., including mine won’t be as diverse in that regard. But in other ways, ISB isn’t super diverse. For example, ISB lacks financial diversity. Going to college with a much larger student body made me realize other aspects of diversity that I hadn’t been exposed to before.

What advice would you give to this year’s Seniors as they follow in your footsteps next year?

1) Transitioning from high school to college is understandably extremely daunting. You’ll realize that you’ll never live the same life again. Try not to look at that change with fear, but approach the uncertainty with an “adventuristic” attitude and welcome it with warmth and love.The transition takes time. It takes a while for you to find a solid group of people that you’ll feel at home with. But one you do, all the searching and putting yourself out there to meet new people will have been totally worth it.

It really forced me to step out of my comfort zone and allowed for a lot of character growth. I’ve become a more independent person.

— Varisa Limpijankit

2) College is scary because suddenly the goal that you’ve been working toward your whole life  (“get into college”) has been accomplished and now you’re working towards your career! But just remember that everyone’s journey is different. Some people will come to college already knowing in their hearts what career they want to pursue, and others will have absolutely no idea. Everyone is different and everyone’s journey to their own definition of success will be different so try not to compare yourself to others too much. As long as you’re trying your best, you’re doing great.

3) Get your tuition money’s worth and take advantage of your resources!! Unlike high school, you have to be really pro-active and initiative when it comes to asking for help. Go to your professors office hours, sign up for peer tutoring, join clubs!

4) I know everyone says this, but it’s true. Cherish the remainder of your time here at ISB. It truly is such a unique and amazing community. Some of the friends (including your teachers!) you make here will be your friends for life. I know that in the moment it’s hard to see the beauty and magic of the little things like grabbing study snacks with your friends in the Grind, frantically calling your friends for IB help at 1AM, or having a warm meal cooked for you at home every day, but I promise those are the memories that you’ll cherish the most.

Any other thoughts to share?

If you ever have any questions or just need someone to talk to regarding college and high school, I’m always just a Facebook message away and I’d love to help. Shout out to my senior babies graduating this year!! I’m so so proud of how far you’ve come and the people you have grown into. I can’t wait to see you guys again at YOUR graduation!! ALSO, extra special shout out to Tar Tar, who’s currently a senior in high school and will be becoming a fellow Jumbo next year!! We can’t wait to have you here at Tufts.

View Comments(1)

PantherNation • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• B

BuyviagraonlineMar 29, 2018 at 2:45 am

Thanks so much Jane! ?

Reply
1