First semester of IB from Juniors

The first semester of IB is leaving juniors with mixed reactions. IB is an international program that provides students with a diploma that is highly regarded in the international community. However, it is a heavy workload and could be hard to adjust to in the first semester.

Emily Park (11) says that “seniors have constantly told me that semester 2 of grade 11 and the first semester of the senior year are the most challenging years in high school. I am anxious about EE, IAs, and every other thing I would have to go through in order to graduate.” This stress about the next year and a half of IB is shared throughout the junior class. Marcelina Lekarska (11) says she is also very anxious for the next semesters of IB because, “ it will be hard to balance all the work and sports.”

Nevertheless, juniors recognize that the stress and workload is definitely worth the effort in order to achieve the  IB diploma. Marcelina adds, “considering what my sister in college has told me, IB prepares you for life after high school very well.” Teachers also agree that the workload and stress of IB is worth it in the end. IB Language and Literature teacher Mr. Werner explains  that it is important to do IB to stand out. “Imagine yourself as a member of the applications selection committee at any university.  You are inundated with stacks and stacks of applications from students all over the world.  It is your job to look for those students who stand out from the ‘rest of the stack.’  An applicant in possession of an IB diploma does just that. It tells you that this student has already succeeded in an arduous curriculum and already has what it takes to perform at a high level.”   

Mr. Werner also says it benefits a student’s future as a whole because of the time management skills learned. He notes, “the IB requires daily diligence and time management.  Those who graduate with an IB diploma demonstrate they have mastered those skills and will benefit from a lifelong application of them.” IB Geography teacher Mr. Harvey elaborates  that it is important to do IB because “colleges understand it is rigorous, and it shows that you are very rounded with the 6 subjects to choose from and the CAS and the EE.” Mr. Harvey also suggests that you should take IB geography as one of your courses.

The way to make the IB diploma a good experience is to pick subjects that showcase your “greatest interest, passion, and ability.” Emily Park says that she “enjoys every single class compared to classes I had in grade 9 and 10. IB courses are much harder but much more fun as well. But out of all my classes, Chemistry, Biology, and Math would probably be my favorites.”  Marcelina also says that HL Chemistry is her favourite class.

Overall the IB program might be stressful and a lot of work but it is clear that juniors recognize its benefits and its worth for college recognition and well rounded education. What do you think of the IB program? Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section down below!

Isabella Abate