Junior Special Olympics

The exciting Junior Special Olympics took place this Saturday on November 11. In this event, 100 ISB students spent their day hanging out with kids and playing games, eating lunch, and participating in team competitions. We sat down with Ms. Hansberry, the coordinator for the Junior Special Olympics for the past few years, to speak about the event’s past, present, and future at ISB.

“I think that their are of course some students who sign up because they know they need more service hours and it is a easy way to get a few, but at the same time there are kids who really enjoy the event and have been doing it for many years. It is a very good feeling you get at the end of the day, knowing you help make other people happy. It is a humbling experience when you see these kids with mental disabilities or kids who have no arms or can not walk and are still so happy to be at ISB. It makes you feel very grateful for everything we have.”

“Actually, Junior Special Olympics has been going on for something like 20 years! I did not start anything, I am just adding on to the program. For the kids who come to our campus on the day of Special Olympics, it is a day out and a break from their regular facility that they are in. It is just a nice thing for us to do as a community for another community. I think the best service experiences are where you feel like you are doing good but you are also getting something back, and this event has that effect on people. ”

“Well, it is already very popular among students; however it is only ever once a year. If we could get it to happen more than once a year, that would be great. Last year was the first time the Best Buddies club in the Middle School participated as well which was a really great way to expand and reach out some more of ISB. The only challenge is that there is always stuff going on here and it is hard to fit in a time. The goal is to get as many people as possible.”

Whether it is your first time or your fourth time, Junior Special Olympics is an experience that allows students at ISB to have fun and do something new. Although the event has passed for this year, you can always sign up next year or look into clubs that work with kids around Thailand that have disabilities and get involved.

Milla Harter