CAS Got Your Tongue?

For many juniors, this year marks the beginning of the two years of challenge, success, time management and…yes, stress, that is the IB diploma program. Extended essays, math portfolios, TOK, IOC’s, FOA, IA’s in every class… The list can be daunting and bewildering at the same time.

Though IB students eventually come to recognize the value of the full IB (especially once they get to college!), many would also say, that, at times, they have found themselves overwhelmed by the assignments, expectations and pressure.

Another task that IB Diploma students are asked to complete are CAS (Creativity, Action, Service) hours. To graduate with an IB diploma, students need 150 combined hours of creativity, activity, and service. Personal opinions on CAS hours vary depending on the student.

Many feel CAS aids in promoting well-rounded students that are balanced academically, socially, and physically. However, some negative views on CAS hours are also prevalent, as some feel it is simply a task they must complete.

Johanna Stiefler Johnson (12) found the positive in CAS. “I think CAS hours are really cool because they allow you to participate in a bunch of activities that you might not have done otherwise. It might seem like it takes a lot of time but honestly just by participating in a sport and one or two clubs, you’re good to go!”

Mason Burgess (11) offered a contrasting viewpoint as his IB journey begins. “I felt like I had to do service hours in freshman and sophomore year yet they don’t count for IB. Fifty hours for each [of Creativity, Action and Service] seems a bit excessive. It will be difficult to manage the academic requirements for IB alone.”

Mrs. Tananone, with the support of Mr. Rogers and Ms. Stewart, spearheads the CAS Program through the Community Activities Office (CAO) next to the book store.  What is abundantly clear is that many opportunities exist at ISB for students to get involved and complete their CAS hours… from Community Service clubs like Baan Ratchawadee and Street Boys, to a wide range of Sports teams, to FPAC and Art Club.  Global Citizenship Week (GCW) also offers many courses where students can gain community service hours.

While it is true you cannot force everybody to want be active, creative, and involved in community service, these IB requirements clearly offer an opportunity for students to learn how to balance and manage their time – a very significant trait universities search for.  CAS hours also provide us an opportunity to think beyond ourselves, and our own problems while we learn to help others, or work together as a team to accomplish something bigger than we could on our own.

Whether CAS hours are viewed positively or negatively, they are a requirement for a full IB diploma and thus inevitable. Try choosing clubs and activities you adore and maybe it will feel less of a task, and more of an enjoyment. Hopefully students can leave ISB with a life long willingness to help others, get involved, and make a difference in the community and world we live in.

Chloe Griffith