Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

Future IASAS Sports

Future IASAS Sports

Interscholastic Association of Southeast Asian Schools (IASAS), is an association of six private schools in and around Southeast Asia. 

screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-2-15-23-pm

While IASAS holds competition in various sports such as football, badminton and basketball, these are mainstream sports that can be found in any other school competition around the world.

Therefore, considering the fact that IASAS is a competition participated by such diverse body of students, here are five potential sports could potentially be added to the list.

screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-12-01-45-pm

Even though wrestling might not be a popular sport among IASAS students, capture the flag could be the screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-2-20-01-pmfactor that would put Kabaddi first on the list.

Kabaddi is a contact sport with a mix of wrestling and capture the flag. A raider runs across the centerline of the court and tries to tag players on the opposing team. The raider must not take another breath until they’ve returned to their side of the court, and will chant “Kabaddi” under their breath to show that they haven’t inhaled. If they fail to tag a player on the opposite team, they won’t score a point.

Kabbadi Video

screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-12-01-50-pm

screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-11-55-27-amIASAS students are extremely competitive in both academics and athletics. So why not compete in a sport that requires both?

Chess boxing is a hybrid sport that combines chess with boxing. The sport alternates between games of boxing and chess after each round – waiting for a checkmate or knockout to decide the match. A Chess Boxing match between two individuals lasts up to eleven rounds, starting with a four-minute chess round and followed by two minutes of boxing.

Chess Boxing Video

screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-12-01-53-pm

screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-11-55-39-amBed Racing will be the perfect sport for IASAS student athletes who can’t balance sleeping and exercising.  

In Bed Racing, competitors race in a team of 6 with one teammate on the bed. Each team is responsible for providing its own bed and decorating it according to the theme of the year. The bed should be able to run on four wheels and also float on water since the final challenge of the 3km race involves crossing a river.

Bed Racing Video

screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-12-01-57-pm

Too bored playing finger wrestling with your friends in lunch? Maybe it is time to take it up a level to Toe screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-11-55-47-amWrestling.

The sport is similar to arm wrestling, except that in toe wrestling, the game is played with bare feet. In fact, it’s common courtesy for each player to remove their opponent’s shoes and socks. The battlers then link big toes and exert force to pin their opponent’s feet for three seconds while avoiding the same in return. The wrestler who wins two out of three rounds, which alternate between right and left feet, wins the match.

Toe Wrestling Video

screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-12-02-00-pm

This could be the perfect chance for all the gym rats across the six IASAS schools to put their muscles into work.screen-shot-2016-11-21-at-11-55-56-am

In this sport, the competitors have to toss a long pole made of Larch tree called a “caber”. The pole is typically 19 feet 6 inches long and weighs around 175 pounds. The players  referred to as the ”Tossers” have to toss the pole in an accurate 12 o’clock position. The distance of the tossed pole is of no significance because the champion is determined by log that lands the top-end closest to the tosser throwing the caber.

Caber Toss Video

Alex Choi