Does JV Get Enough Practice? – Editorial

ISB offers a variety of sports at the Varsity and Junior Varsity levels. The Junior Varsity (JV) teams provide a way for athletes who are not yet at the Varsity level to compete and improve, with the end goal being screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-1-39-30-pmperforming well at the local BISAC tournament. While the sports program at ISB is extensive, there are some concerns about the shift this year in which JV has reduced from meeting 4 times a week to 3 times. In comparison to the gruelling 5 days a week practices and games of the Varsity teams, JV sports only have two practices and one game per week. Is this sufficient preparation for a team, and for athletes looking to play at a higher level?

Mio Baek (12), a member of the JV girls volleyball team, seems to believe that JV teams could benefit from an extra practice day. “Even just adding one day would be better since 3 out of 5 days would be technically the ‘majority’ of the week. Game days should not count as practice because not all players will be able to play in games and in the end they get 2 days of practice rather than 3” she commented.

Pam Temcharoen (10), a member of the JV girls soccer team, added on to this by saying that extra practice “would help us prepare for the tougher competition of varsity.”

screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-1-44-24-pm

JV athletes shared a common belief that ISB focuses a lot more on Varsity sports than JV as they represent the school, and this is the cause in different amount of practices.

However when Derrick Quinet (athletics director) was asked about the difference in practices he explained that “the level of commitment and expectation of athletes increases at every level, from U11 through to screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-1-39-20-pmvarsity programs. The Junior Varsity program allows student-athletes to experience our sports program, learn, and grow while keeping time to pursue other clubs, activities, and interests.”

JV teams are supposed to help players train to potentially join Varsity teams. Although this does not require the same level of commitment, is cutting practice down to two days okay? David Giles (Varsity Girls Cross Country Coach) seems to believe the cut down on JV practice did not have a negative effect on athletes readiness for varsity try outs next year. “We had several girls that show great potential.  They did not even know that they could run that fast.  I expect to see several of them on our varsity team next year,” he stated.

screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-1-45-17-pm

Personally I understand that JV is not as big of a commitment as Varsity, however I think at least 3 days of practice along with games are necessary to receive enough training. After reading about both sides of the topic, what do you think? Should JV sports receive more practice time, or is it unnecessary?

Marcelina Lekawska