That Was Not The Goal!

The Varsity Girls Football Team came 5th place at the IASAS tournament in Jakarta, Indonesia this year. Despite the disappointing finish, the girls were still upbeat about the season and the spirit of the team.

I just want to say that our performance at IASAS was all I could ask for from this team,” said Kayla Sadowski (12), one of the team captains this year. “I do not regret anything and I hope none of the other girls on the team do either because although we did not get a medal everyone worked 100% when they were on the field and I can not thank this team enough for a great final season of Soccer. I will miss it so much.”

The season started off brilliantly with many new people trying out for the team and a series of great results. Sadly, at IASAS, despite their best efforts, the side did not finish where they wanted. 

This year’s IASAS tournament had many challenges for the players. Coach Kirk (Varsity Girls Football screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-9-29-33-pmCoach) spoke about how some of the teams were stronger and more skilled than anticipated. “The biggest challenge against most of the schools was the high level of players other teams had. ISM, ISKL and TAS had some very fast, technically gifted players and we coped for large parts of the games, but we could not hold out for a clean sheet or sneak a goal. We had our up and downs this year, but we grew as a squad and we made progress as the season wore on. Our best performance this season was a cracking 0-0 game against TAS. We played our hearts out and showed grit, resilience and camaraderie.

Olivia Scott (11) noticed changes within the different teams and how this created difficulty for the girls, “I think this year was very interesting for IASAS Girl’s football. All of the teams were very new, meaning there were new faces and everything was fairly unknown. I think on the first day we played two very different styled teams. SAS were pretty technical and had quality on the ball, and then there was ISKL who were aggressive and had quite a bit of speed. I think that threw us off on the first day, however on Day 2 we won against JIS 1-0 and drew against TAS 0-0.”

Seeing how the other teams played helped the girls see what they needed to improve upon. “Our captains screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-9-53-23-pmand coaches always remind us that no matter what the score is or how the team is doing, it is always important to give 110% and even when you do not have the ball,” Xuan Fan Loo (9), a freshman on the Varsity team this year, told Panther Nation. “The movement off the ball is just as important even if it’s little things such as putting pressure on the opposition or finding open space to receive the ball,” she explained.

Many of the players commented on the performance of their teammates, but the people who stood out the most were Alyssa Alexander (12) and Devi de Oliveira (12). “Alyssa was honestly such a beast on the field and would really chase down every loose ball there was. She put her all into every game she played. As for Devi, same goes. It really lifted so much weight off our shoulders knowing that we had someone so dependable as our last line of defense back in the goal,” commented Chantelle Shum (10).

“Alyssa is an amazing player who can just read the play so easily. She knows how to keep the team going and is a great motivator. Devi is also a very strong player and she can control the game from all the way back in goal. She can communicate with the team and she really pushes through, even with a bad injury!” added Olivia Scott.

Others thought that the whole team was playing so well and were so crucial to the entire tournament. “Everyone on our team had their own part of helping. I can not name only two people who stood out the most to me because together, as a team, we stood out together,” said Kayla Sadowski.” I think everyone on the team, especially seniors and previous Varsity team members, were very welcoming and was a huge help in transitioning from middle school football to high school football. Initially, it was hard to transition because the intensity is a lot higher compared to middle school but the more experienced players on the team really helped create a nice and welcoming atmosphere for the newer players on the team,” added Xuan Fan.

As many of you know, the build up to the game is a lot more scary than the game itself. The Varsity girls shared how they felt and what they were thinking before a game. Lilly Olson had a simple comment for this, stating that “[she felt] nervous before the games and usually pretty happy afterwards. [It helped] picturing our team coming out of it with a win.” Chantelle Shum added to this, “Before games, I generally feel a little nervous sometimes, but mostly pumped up. After games, I just feel really tired and, most of the time, happy with the team’s efforts! I’m an overthinker, so I generally think about a lot of things. Mainly before a game, I tend to just talk to myself, and stay positive [before games].”

Many people said that the highlight of their IASAS was tying with Taipei and others said that watching thescreen-shot-2016-11-09-at-9-29-16-pm boys win gold was also fun “This is simple. When the final whistle went in the boy’s final, all of the ISB parents and the Girl’s Varsity ran onto the pitch to celebrate with our boys and their coaches. It was an amazing finale at 10pm on the final day of the tournament. The perfect end to a great week of sport. Congratulations boys,” said Coach Kirk about the highlight of his first IASAS experience.

“A highlight of this IASAS for me is when we tied TAS 0-0. It does not seem like a good outcome but to our team, it was the best game we have ever played together. TAS beat us 4-0 at exchange and to come back at IASAS and not let them score on us once just shows how well we were working together and how much we improved as a team. Another highlight was when the boys won gold. That was pretty hype,” said Kayla Sadowski.

“I think for our team the highlight was drawing against TAS on Day 2. They beat us on our own turf back in September so it was a good feeling to secure a draw against them. It was also proof that we really had improved since the exchange and our defensive strategies got stronger. Even though it wasn’t a win, after the game it seemed like we had with everyone leaving for the day with an amazing attitude and spirit,” said Olivia Scott about the highlight of her IASAS. Chantelle Shum on the other hand had a completely different highlight of her IASAS. ”Of course the games that we played. But also the afternoon 2-hour naps in between games.”

The team was extremely new this year, featuring 2 freshmen and a new coach. “It was a great experience at my first IASAS because we got to meet other people from different countries who shared the same love for the sport. Aside from the competitive aspect of IASAS, it was a great experience making new friends from other countries and making memories that we will never forget.” said Xuan Fan Loo about her first IASAS.

screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-9-29-24-pmI found the level of skill higher at IASAS than an APAC championship that I [was] coaching, in China. There really were no easy games at IASAS. I love these tournaments and how students put their bodies on the line for intense competition. You learn so much about who you have in your squad. I like the aspect of getting on the buses, the plane and traveling as a squad together and learning so much about the different characters and personalities in the team. Some players are veterans, others look unsure and anxious,” said Coach Kirk talking about the difference between tournaments he has been to.

“We had 9 Seniors on the team and they know from Coach O’Rourke and I that they will be sorely missed next season. We will celebrate their achievements at the banquet later this month. I have only known these girls two months, but the ways in which they made me feel welcomed [at a new school] and a part of the community made it very easy for me to settle in Bangkok. I wish them all the very best as they move onto Season 2 sports and more importantly, their college apps and academic studies. Good luck!” said Coach Kirk to his seniors.

The senior girls also had something to say about IASAS and how they will miss representing ISB when they go to college. “I will definitely miss IASAS. It is such an amazing experience to travel to different countries and meet people from different schools. I will miss representing ISB at IASAS. ISB is an amazing school with an amazing community and I can’t believe my time as a Panther is almost over.” said Kayla Sadowski.

Even though the girls did not get the outcome they were looking for they still did their best and gave it their all. We applaud them for their efforts and we look to the future to hope for the best in the future. The future is different for all of us. Some might be going off to college, some of us going are going to start the IB and some of us have years to come before we are able to graduate. But no matter what, we are all the same as in we have all experienced victories and defeats in our life. Lets just hope that next year both the Varsity Boys and Girls soccer can bring home the gold for ISB!

Megan Black