Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

On The Road to Gold – Varsity Cross Country Season Intro

Every coach and every athlete wants to compete at the highest level, and the ISB Varsity Cross Country coaches and athletes are no different. Many would perceive the 4th and 5th placed finishes for the Varsity Girls’ and Boys’ teams last year at IASAS to be a disappointment, but a valuable learning experience on the road to Gold.

14355592_958998394208628_2184925847585515258_n
Photo Credit – ISB Flickr

“I hope we can compete for medals at IASAS,” says Varsity Girls coach David Giles. “We have depth in our top ten and I have hopes that with the young talent, we will get better and better, faster and faster.” These sentiments are echoed by his counterpart, Boys coach Daniel Bentley, who claims that he thinks “ISB Boys should be looking for a gold or silver in Taipei come October.”

An ambitious expectation, but by no means out of reach for the committed ISB Cross Country athletes. “I honestly do think we are a little stronger than last year, despite such a young team this year” admits senior Sammie March. Sammie also highlighted the importance of providing “a good role model for the team” going into the new season. Her coach further emphasized the point by admitting that there are “only two returning IASAS runners,” but the team is “young and hungry” as a result. 

screen-shot-2016-09-25-at-2-52-16-pm
Photo Credit – ISB Flickr

Coach Bentley also commented on the youthfulness of his team, stating that the side has some “eager and talented young underclassmen.” Sophomores comprise the majority of the team, but Coach Bentley has commended the influence of his more experienced runners by stating that “I believe as a whole we will have a stronger team with two top runners, Rohit Pal and James Price up front and a solid supporting cast.” 

Fitness and work ethic is a paramount to Cross Country running, and was highlighted by both coaches. “It takes hard work and will be tough, but there are some fighters on our team” admitted Coach Giles. Coach Bentley stressed that “runners need to stay healthy and give 100% every practice and be focused and ready to go on race day.”

Coaches and runners alike have plenty of reasons to be optimistic heading into the new season. Youthful teams with ambitious mindsets will take the track come IASAS, looking to make a long season of hard work pay off.

Gian Chansrichawla