Math Quad Masterminds

Math Quad Masterminds

Recently, ISB has introduced a new study area, or as Kylie Harter, the designer of the new math quad likes to call it, “study neighborhoods.” These study neighborhoods have replaced the old math quad on the first floor. Thankfully it is air conditioned and provides various places to study either with a group or alone.

In addition to the interview with Math teacher Colin Stephenson, Harter also added some insight to the new math quad as well as desired future plans. One of the main reasons behind this idea is that she feels “not everybody wants to go to the main library. It is out of the way, it is not convenient.” By studying and looking at how students move and behave, Harter has noticed how high school students do not like to “stray too far from where their lockers, [friends], or [classrooms] are.”

“This school was built over 25 years ago and it was built with a quad configuration so you will see we have these quads everywhere now at that time, it was better suited to how we teach and how we learn and the pedagogy that was practiced. Now, things are starting to change and we are starting to see that we need more communal spaces.” mentioned Harter.

But why make a whole new indoor facility when you have many places outside to renovate? According to Harter, indoor space is “dedicated towards study and supporting learning whereas the outdoor spaces are more social.” And I agree. Thailand is no doubt too hot and humid to focus on studying like you would in the library or the new math quad. The outdoors is a place to relax with friends and not think about schoolwork.

Even if the math quad’s final design does look a little different from the blueprint from last year, nonetheless, it will hopefully make the same or an even better impact on ISB students.

Grace Yang

Here is an video made by Grace Y. interviewing Mr. Stephenson about the Math Quad.