IASAS Softball Recap

Eight seniors. Home turf. Double IASAS gold medals. No other words better sum up the last ever slow-pitch softball IASAS tournament. In its 33rd and final year, IASAS softball saw the hosting ISB Panthers crowned as champions for both boys and girls for the first time in many years. For the seniors competing in their ultimate IASAS tournament, there was no possible sweeter ending.

It is accepted in sports that more experience generally yields more success, and with strong cores of upperclassmen, the Panthers softball teams exemplified success. However, without discounting the contributions of the experienced seniors; the roles played by the younger members of both the boys and girls softball teams were astounding to say the least.

DSC05062The boys easily swept through the round robin stages of the tournament, defeating TAS, SAS, and JIS by wide margins. ISKL fell just short of defeating the dominant Panthers, and the only team to actually beat ISB was ISM. Leadership and experience were salient characteristics throughout the domination put forth by ISB, but it was the work of the younger members of the team that assisted the Panthers in their final step into the IASAS history books.

In the championship, ISB and ISM met in a rematch that will forever be remembered as an IASAS classic. Driven by their core of upperclassmen, ISB found themselves within striking distance of the in-form ISM Bearcats heading into the final inning. Big plays by the Panthers extended the game late into the 7th inning, in which the younger members of the ISB team stepped up. Freshman Andrew Smith confidently watched the final pitch of a 3-2 count drop for a ball with the game on the line, and Sophomores Kei Sekiguchi and Kevin Irwin came up with massive defensive plays to close out the game for the Panthers.

On the girls side, no team came close to even threatening the Panthers. JIS, ISKL, ISM, SAS, and TAS all DSC06252took beatings from the ISB girls, and the final match was no different. Although a tight match in the beginning, SAS could not handle the buzzsaw that was the ISB team; equipped with dangerous batters and disciplined fielders. Again, as with the boys, the Panthers relied on their upperclassmen core throughout the tournament to maintain an elite level of play and focus; but it was the contributions from Freshman Ginnie Na-Eak and Sophomore Juli Piyapanyawongse that were rather unexpected from a supporters perspective. Juli as a pitcher, and Ginnie, as a relentless outfielder, added the finishing touches to the ISB girls machine. Sheer dominance best describes the performance put forth by the girls in this final IASAS slow-pitch tournament.

25145020060_902d49c9cf_o

ISB BOYS: 1st

ISB GIRLS: 1st

Will Rutherford