Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

The Criminalisation of Victims

Thailand is a beautiful country with a dark secret. Beyond the sunlit skies and the bustling city, there lies the desperate cries of the millions of human trafficking victims. Their perpetual cycle of agony is hidden from the public eye, and their voices are muffled by the immoral people who believe that human life is a mere commodity.

Every year, a few are lucky enough to break free from this brutal fate. Unfortunately, when these victims seek help after their escape, they are often charged with crimes such as prostitution, theft, and the use of fake identification. In place of protection by the Victim Services, these individuals will be criminalized for the acts that they were forced to commit under their devastating circumstances. Their freedom is once again torn away as they are condemned to live out their sentence in the confines of a prison cell.

Even after they have fulfilled their undeserving time in jail, these victims do not have a fresh start in life. Their permanent criminal status will haunt them throughout their future and prevent them from leading a normal life. Due to their prior arrests, they are likely to have problems renting an apartment or looking for employment. They will not be given the clean slate that they deserve. They will not be applauded for overcoming their hellish past. Instead, they will be discriminated against and stigmatized.

An anonymous student shares that “the repercussions the victims potentially face will discourage others in the future from asking for help due to fear,” which will only exacerbate this social issue. They add that “the goal of our society and the regulations it establishes should be to maximize the protection of the citizens, and the justice system must change as it currently fails to do so.”

It is ridiculous that the very laws that are supposed to prevent the violation of human rights are working adversely towards the human trafficking victims. Regulations must be in place, which will protect the victims from being charged with crimes that were committed against their will. When the Trafficking Victims Protection Act was established in the United States in 2000, it forced a large push towards providing justice for human trafficked victims. However, this policy has not been adopted in all countries and millions of victims remain unprotected.

Nothing can ever erase the years of abuse and torment, but the very least our society can do is to offer these victims the opportunity live an untainted future. To live a life full of possibilities and hope. To live a life that all human beings deserve to live.

Sarah Lim