Global Citizenship Week

As all students at ISB know, GCW (Global Citizenship Week) is coming up soon. With less than a month to go, I and many others can say that we all feel ecstatic to go on the upcoming trip(s). The different trips range from places near or in Bangkok, to foreign countries like New Zealand and Australia. With so many thoughts and emotions buzzing around, I thought it would be interesting for me to ask some students and teachers on their views/thoughts are on the GCW trip.

I decided to start with a freshman Beatrice Chioda (9), who was quick to say, “This being my first year at ISB, and first time participating in a GCW trip, I just want to play with the kids and make them smile.” It seems that she is quite excited to participate in this year’s GCW trip. Ally Glucksman (9) also added, “I can’t wait to experience a new, unique place, and make people happy.”

Looking for some different views on the GCW trip, it seemed only reasonable to go to the group of people that have been going on the trip for years. Senior, Afi Blackshear (12), seemed to advocate for most upperclassmen when he stated, “Since this is my last GCW, I’m mostly looking forward to a nice week away from the typical Nichada life with fellow classmates.” Despite what I thought, it seems that most upperclassmen are still excited about the trip due to “break” that they will be having.

The last person that I interviewed was, Marypat Weber, a teacher who teaches IB Language and Literature and TOK. I wanted to get a different point of view, as she is not participating in this year’s GCW trip. “I like the idea that students experience the real world… away from books, formulas, memorisation, essays and exams. I also like the fact that students are given an opportunity to take responsibility for themselves in a way that is different from just being a student.” Even though she isn’t going, it seems that most teachers feel the same way for their students.  

ISB High school students seem to be counting down the days as the GCW trips come closer and closer. You can clearly that people in different grades, all have different but positive opinions on Global Citizenship Week. Parents, friends, and teachers wish the best for the students who will be leaving for an adventurous week!

Matthew P