A Week Away

A Week Away
David Laferriere

As we all know, Global Citizenship Week (GCW) is getting closer. For those who are new to high school this year, it will be their first year taking part in GCW.

If you are not sure what GCW is, it is a week in February when the entire high school closes down in order for students to go on trips or partake in internships. It is an incredible opportunity that we all get to experience, whether we stay in Bangkok or decide to travel outside of Asia.

GCW is compulsory. If you are going to graduate from ISB in your senior year then you need to have been on a GCW trip for each year you have spent here. It is an amazing opportunity, teaching us to help people who are in need. It is a learning experience in which we are taught more about the world, and about what we can do to help improve the standard of living for people worldwide. However, the majority of GCW options are quite expensive unless you choose to stay in Bangkok.

When asked if he thinks GCW should be compulsory, Colin Patrick (10), who is new to ISB this year said, “I think that you should have to go, because GCW builds leadership skills and it is helping people in need.”

An anonymous source said she “thinks GCW should be compulsory to an extent, if you do not want to do it then you should not have to, but you also should not be allowed the week off school [for no purpose].”

They also said, “[Options] seem pretty limited to Asia and obviously Asia is easy because it is closer, but some places in Europe would definitely make the trips more diverse and more interesting. It often seems many of the trips are similar and repetitive.”

Colin was then asked if he thinks there should be more free or cheaper options for GCW, he said that “the school is already expensive, so why [should] we [have] to pay even more money to do something that is compulsory.”

There are many different opinions towards GCW, some think it should not be compulsory, while others think everyone should have to go, but one thing everyone knows for sure is that it is an incredible opportunity for high school students to travel the world, learn more about our society, and help people who really need it.

Lily G