A Face for Every Occasion

Facebook’s iconic “like” button was introduced back in 2009, and the users that have been begging for a “dislike” button for almost 7 years now, may soon be getting their wish. Back in September, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced that his team was working on creating and testing a “dislike” button for times when clicking “like” on sad posts feels insensitive.

Several students here at the International School of Bangkok are wary of the consequences that may come with this new feature. Mio Baek (11) stated that “getting “dislikes” on her posts would severely lower her self esteem on social media.”

The world has been buzzing with chatter about what the button will feature, what it might look like, and what it might mean to casual users. However, according to a recent post by Chris Cox, the new “dislike” button won’t be a “dislike” button after all but instead something much more than that.

Instead, according to Zuckerberg, “when users hold a click on the “like” button, [they will] have the option to react to a post with a heart, a sad face, an angry face, or a stunned face.” And while no one is quite sure what this will be like, one thing is certain: the new feature will change the way we use Facebook.

Mark Zuckerberg explained that he, along with his team “did not want to just build a “dislike” button because [they] do not want to turn Facebook into a forum where people are voting up or down on people’s posts.” That is just not “the kind of community [they] want to create.”

This new feature gives us the freedom to express feelings such as empathy, which is really helpful since obviously not every moment is good and appropriate for a “like”.

Antonina (Tosia) L