CAS and Student Council Changes

During the ISB history there have been many changes in faculty in different areas of the school, especially this year. Many teachers have left and new ones have come this year always an exciting time when someone meets their new teacher. This year there has been a great change in Community and Action Service Management. Community service is a great part of an ISB student’s life as it is the time where someone can really connect with the local culture and make a difference in someone’s life. It is a way to let a student know how lucky they are for having a great education and probably an amazing future. Also it is a great learning opportunity to see how people that might look like they are sad and in despair but in reality they are happy, making a person think and see how their life truly is.

This year’s management has changed into a new way of seeing things and that is aimed to give more “power” to the students. Ms. Stewart is our new CAS Advisor and Student Council Supervisor. She has been newly appointed to the job and has wanted to let students “be involved in all the things we are lucky to have at ISB.” She would like to give students “a chance to be a part of helping make these opportunities even better for our students”. Ms. Stewart has been part of the very international ISB community and has changed some things regarding Student Council and CAS management where she believed that “it was hard for students to access all those possibilities”. She has changed quite some things at the school and believes that by “streamlining some systems, setting up new councils, changing the advocacy weeks to months, actually means more students are involved all the great things we have available here for students.”

These ideas have proven to be very helpful for students and as some students believe “that now that (he) is working with other club members (he) is really liking the idea”. One of the major changes she has made to the community service management is the they “have had the GEC and GIN clubs doing advocacy, and Cultural Clubs holding a Food Fair in order for students to get to know the food of different groups of students. December is the month themed “Giving”, so direct service clubs are going to highlight their activities, and goods will be collected to donate to these organizations. It is a great chance for students from different groups within the school to work together.”

Community Service is a great activity to do with friends and really lucrative as well for a person who is interested to do some leading role in the future teaching them how to manage a club. However, one of the most important leaders of High School life is Student Council. They are our representative and give our ideas to the people up there. That is why Ms. Stewart has also centered her attention onto Student Council as previously mentioned that she believes that giving the students a chance to go out there and enjoy themselves by helping others and by spreading their ideas is important. Even though “they are still trying to figure it all out” says a Student Council representative it has proven to be a great way to give that chance of liberty and control to the students. “The idea and the theory is really good and (she) thinks that it is going to work really well, we just need sometime to get used to it”.

Stefan L