Paris Attacks

Paris+Attacks

As the night settled on France’s capital, tragedy struck. Paris was rocked by seven distinct terrorist attacks, which was orchestrated by ISIS. The death toll piled high as the night went on, as Parisians and the world alike watched on and mourned in shock.

The first attack started at 9:20, when a person detonated his suicide vest outside of the Stade de France, where Germany and France were playing a friendly soccer game. The first suicide bombing was followed by two more. It resulted in four deaths, including the suicide bombers themselves. After the game, fans and players alike were kept in the stadium to await evacuation. President François Hollande himself was present at the game but was evacuated at half time.

There were four street shootings throughout the entire ordeal. The first shooting occurred at 9:25 at Le Carillon and Le Petit Cambodge. The second attack started at 9:32, outside Café Bonne Bière. The third shooting occurred at 9:36 at the outdoor terrace of the restaurant La Belle Équipe. The final attack occurred at 9:40 at Comptoir Voltair Café. The collective death toll was 35 people, 19 of which were at La Belle Équipe.

At approximately 9:45, a mass shooting and hostage taking occurred at the Bataclan theatre. The band Eagles of Death Metal was playing to a crowd of around 1500 people. About an hour into the concert, three masked men burst into the hall, equipped with AK-47’s and suicide vests, before opening fire into the crowd. The attack lasted around 20 minutes, with reports saying that the gunmen reload three to four times. Around 10:00, the gunmen started taking 60-100 hostages. Shortly after, the police started an assault on the theatre after reports that the terrorists had started killing hostages. The death toll was 89 people.

After the dust and smoke cleared, the world had lost 130 souls, with 368 more injured, 60-99 seriously. 7 perpetrators were also killed after they detonated their suicide vests, while 1 died after being hit by gunfire. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks almost immediately after news got out.

Public outcry has been massive, both on social media and in real life. Almost immediately after the attacks, Parisians were using the hashtag #portesouvertes (open doors) to offer shelter to those too scared to travel home after the attacks, which trended worldwide. Many people also used #PrayForParis. Facebook reintroduced its safety-check system so that users in Paris can let family and friends know that they are safe. Facebook also had an option for people to temporarily put a transparent overlay of the French flag over their original profile, to “support France and the people of Paris”.

“It’s appalling,” stated a student at ISB, who wished to remain anonymous. “When I first heard about the news, I was in shock. Not only because of the death toll, but I was shocked by how inhumane the terrorists were”. “Their actions were not human, they were monsters twisted by the ideals of extremists”, he further added, “Unfortunately, however, these attacks have resulted in widespread hatred of Muslims on social media. I feel deeply saddened because extremists, who shouldn’t even be associated with Islam, have screwed over an entire religion and its followers,” he ended.

Multiple landmarks were lit in the colors of the French flag to show consolidation. This includes the One World Trade Center in New York, the Sydney Opera Theatre in Sydney, and Taipei 101 in Taipei. French foreign exchange students gathered in Union Square in New York City where they lit candles and sang “La Marseillaise”. Vigils took place in Sydney, Montreal, New York City, and Manila among others.

These attacks have signaled a strong reaction throughout the entire world. An outpouring of sympathy, through both social media and real life, shows the unbroken connection humans have, regardless of country, race, or ethnicity. These attacks show the dark side of humanity, but it’s aftermath shows the light and hope of humanity.

Poon S