Dedicated to our Parents…

Dedicated to our Parents…
user

We often take our parents and all the sacrifices they make for granted. Amidst their busy lives, they stay up by our bedside when we are sick, offer words of wisdom in times of trouble, and inundate us with love from the second we wake up to when we go to sleep. They find ways to be the number one cheerleader at our sports or music events and financially support our countless hobbies.

At ISB alone, students participate in sports exchange, Interscholastic Association of Southeast Asian Schools (IASAS), Cultural Convention (CC) and Global Citizen’s Week (GCW). All these opportunities are truly amazing and allow students to grow into talented and passionate young adults. They are without a doubt one of the many factors that make ISB a phenomenal platform for cultivating well-rounded students. Unfortunately, for chances like this are abundant, we frequently dismiss the extent of our parents’ efforts that are behind such opportunities.

The GCWs range anywhere from free to 110,000 baht. A CC delegate pays roughly 12,000 baht to travel to the IASAS school and partake in the 3 day experience. If an athlete participates in just one sports season and has traveled to one away exchange or IASAS, he or she will pay an average of 13,000-14,000 baht. Under the same circumstances, if an athlete is a part of all three sports seasons, he or she will pay around 40,000 (for those who go on an away exchange and IASAS these costs would double). As ISB is overflowing with active and enthusiastic students, it is a safe bet that this cost applies to many of us in one way or another.

This does not even include the other activities and products that our parents are often found paying for such as service trips, team jerseys/shirts/jackets, and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams, which adds up to be a massive 26,000 baht if you are a full IB diploma student. The list is far from over and demonstrates only a small fraction as to how much money our parents actually spend on us. However, it is a good indication as to how much we owe our parents.

“I am extremely grateful for the funding that my parents have given me over the last 4 years (12 seasons)” states Becky Bradley (12). “They have paid for my team shirts, jerseys, team snacks, flights for exchange and IASAS, which adds up to quite a lot! I am fortunate to have such supportive parents who are willing to make these sacrifices.”

Samuel Lee (11) also shares a similar notion, and claims that he “definitely feel[s] gratitude towards [his] parents for all the opportunities” that he has been offered. Samuel adds that “these trips put together can cost a fortune” so he really appreciates his parents’ “willingness to fund it.”

Sidney Smith (12) says that for her “family it is a balance.” In order to go to Tanzania on her senior year, she “went on less costly GCWs the past two years.” However, she realizes that while “there is a balance and a budget” with her activities, she is “extremely grateful” for all the opportunities that her parents have allowed her to partake in.

We are lucky to be the recipients of our parents’ innumerable sacrifices and it is time we take a moment to thank them. To extend our sincere gratitude and respect for all they do for us. While our stubborn teenage minds may be too proud and immature to admit so, we would really like for all our parents to know that their generosity does not go unnoticed. That in reality, we could not love them more for their unconditional love and support. So thank you parents. Thank you for giving us the best chance to succeed and grow into the individuals that we are today.

Sarah L