Aftermath Of Amadeus

Rehearsals are now coming to an end as the Amadeus play took place on the 5th and 6th of November at 3:00 pm and 7th of November at 6:00 pm. Set in the 18th century, Amadeus is a production about the court composer Antonio Salieri who struggles to escape feeling inconspicuous. Salieri becomes jealous of the young Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart who exemplifies what he always wanted to be; divinely gifted. He decides that he must stop Mozart, his music, his fame and maybe even possibly his existence. It is truly an astonishing play that is likely to leave the audience shocked and intrigued as they venture through Salieri and Mozart’s journey of their musical careers. Below, is a written interview with some of the two leads in the play Salieri and Mozart.

The INTL: Why did you audition for the play?

Rigel Blatt (12) “I chose to audition because I wanted to get back into a dramatic role. For a while, I have been portraying more unconventional characters and Amadeus presented me with some really interesting roles. Salieri is just such a complex and evil character, so I’m thankful I got the role.”

Dan Borenstein (12) “I tried out for the play because that is sort of what I do every year; it’s my annual routine. I’ve been in plays since seventh grade and Amadeus will be my tenth production at ISB.”

The INTL: Why do you act? What inspires you?

RB: “I have always loved telling stories, creating new characters and really playing with and exploring emotions. Watching films, theatre and seeing the human emotional spectrum performed really inspires me to tell these stories and show these characters to the world.”

DB: “As a younger kid, I was very easily moved and impressed by the movies I watched. Every time I came out of a movie I really liked, I would think to myself, I wish I was a part of that story. I don’t think I’ve loved anything more than being a part of a story larger than my own.”

The INTL: What do you find significant about this play?

RB: “This play is an emotional driving force; like an emotional bulldozer. I think it explores the extremes of the human emotion of jealousy and rivalry to an extent where an audience can take it in and see how scary and powerful the emotion is.”

DB: “I think this is one of the best plays I’ve been in. It elicits a strong emotional response. The audience will, hopefully, experience some kind of an emotional roller-coaster. It’s funny but at times also heart-wrenching.”

The INTL: What did you hope to achieve by being in this play?

RB: “It’s my first lead role in a long time, as well as my first “evil” role in a long time. I hope that Amadeus can broaden my range as an actor and hopefully showcase my talent to get me more work outside of school productions.”

DB: “I hope that, as an ensemble, we succeeded in engaging the audience in this wonderful story and that they walk out of that theatre having enjoyed the performance. I hope that this performance inspires other students who have been interested in theatre to give it a try.”

The INTL: What do you hope the audience felt?

RB: “I hope the audience felt completely overwhelmed with emotion and awe.” “If the scale of the show doesn’t hit the audience, then the wonderful talent of my cast mates and the incredible emotional ride of the story definitely will.”

DB: “Anything. As long as they felt something.”

The drama department now turns its attention to the next play which is set to take place this December. There has been plenty of good feedback from students and teachers who have already had a glimpse at the rehearsals and are now excited to see the whole play itself.

Chloe S

View Comments (2)