A Musical Saturday

Credit: ISBHS Flickr

On September, 26th the annual Bangkok International Strings Festival (BISF) took place at ISB. In this string’s concert, many different schools from around Thailand and even one school from Japan, come together to play as an ensemble. The audience consisted mostly of parents, teachers, and students from ISB. The man behind this performance, Kirt Mosier, conducted the orchestra with elegance and expertise. The audience and performers were all extremely pleased with the seven pieces that were played.

I know that strings has a mellow atmosphere, but if you would have gone to the performance then you would see how fun and dramatic it truly was. The audience shared that the orchestra did a fantastic job and would want to go see another performance. Jung Yoon Lee (9) was apart of the orchestra and added that the concert went extremely well, “We had some rough moments in just one piece, but excluding that, I think all the players performed outstandingly.” The performance received a lot of praise, and many were thankful for the wonderful work of the conductor, Kirt Mosier.

The audience may have felt that the performance was perfect, however, Jung Yoon Lee (9) stated, “during the performance, I think the different sections communicated well throughout the pieces however, we had some unstable moments in just one piece.” That one piece being, Two Scenes From The Hollow. Even though the group only had a couple of weeks to practice seven difficult  pieces, everyone thinks that they did a terrific job.

Mr. Todd Weinhold, new High school and Middle school strings teacher, and the festival organizer, felt that the ensemble played together beautifully and rarely made a mistake. Todd commented, “the major challenge was that students from 5 different schools came together to make a cohesive ensemble in just 3 short days.” Even though there were many schools that attended and there were constant distractions everywhere, the performers collected their thoughts and focused on their main goal. It seems that there was a lot more to this concert than what meets the eye. With countless hours of practicing at home, and a day or two together at ISB, they seemed to be well rehearsed.

Todd commented that his favorite pieces were, “the ones written by the conductor.  There is something special about the composer conducting the orchestra.” It’s amazing how much praise everyone has for Kirt Mosier, and it shows what talented people were apart of this year’s festival.

In the end, all of the parents, students, and teachers were very happy with this performance, and are already looking forward to attend another strings concert again. I highly recommend you look out for the next one, because it seems like the audience really enjoyed the concert!

Matthew P