Elastic Heart

Credit%3A+Kory+Grow+
Credit: Kory Grow

If you have recently browsed through YouTube’s trending music videos, you would have probably seen Sia’s new music video for ‘Elastic Heart’. The video debuted to much backlash from fans and others that were concerned with its supposed pedophilic themes. Because of its ‘shocking’ concept and imagery, the video was much talked about, receiving over 40 million views on YouTube within a week of its release.

Sia is known for her boundary pushing and emotionally charged music videos. She has personally battled with alcoholism and substance addiction in the past, which drove the content for her previous hit single ‘Chandelier’. For those not familiar with the video for Elastic Heart, it features Hollywood actor Shia Labeouf, 28, and Dance Moms participant Maddie Ziegler, 12, who rose to international fame in her appearance in Sia’s music video for ‘Chandelier’.

The two are depicted as having an intense cage fight in the form of an interpretive dance. Due to the obvious age difference and the fact that they are dressed in nude leotards, sackling and clashing with each other, many feel that it is suggestive of pedophilia. However, others have come to Sia’s defense, saying that Shia and Maddie represent a father-daughter duo working out their differences. Some have claimed that the video could have shown this message without the actors in skin colored clothing, but many believe that their clothing only shows the vulnerability of both their ‘feral’nature.

Amidst all the criticism, Sia took to Twitter to release an apology statement, clarifying that her intention was not to trigger victims of abuse, but to represent the ‘past’ Sia and the ‘present’ Sia. Rea Saxena (12) gives her take on the video sharing that she doesn’t see it as phedophic. Her outlook towards it is “on a more metaphorical level like the right side and left side of your brain. It seemed to be logic vs. creativity, trying to break free.”

An opposing opinion was shared by an anonymous sophomore. They stated their confusion on “why Shia and Maddie had to be so close physically, in such skimpy clothes. The dance was confusing, and it’s borderline pedophilia. Clearly, there are many differing takes on the video. Something as subjective as choreography can definitely take on contrasting meanings, often those that the artist would have never imagined. All in all, the main should be on the artist’s intent rather than the content produced from it.

Nishtha Jaiswal