Basketball Bounce Back into New Season

Last year’s girls Varsity team shake hands at IASAS

The Varsity basketball rosters for the 2014-2015 seasons have officially been finalized, with both teams already working hard to compete at the upcoming IASAS tournament in Manila.

The teams are both young, with overwhelming potential and excitement in each, individual player. The boys are coming off of a 2nd place season, just coming short of gold, while the girls are hoping to climb out of the 4th place ladder this season.

“The girls’ varsity basketball team consists of 11 players: 1 senior, 3 juniors, 5 sophomores, and 2 freshmen. Of these 11 players, we only have 3 returning from last year’s team” said the Varsity girls’ Basketball coach, Lindsay Perry. “With only three returning players, we are a very new team. At the same time we are a young team, so we have a lot of potential, not only for this year, but also for the years to come,” added the team’s captain, Maggie Turner (12).

The Varsity basketball girls’ goals for this year are ultimately to improve not only as individuals, but also as a whole. All the girls have been putting in a lot of effort, which “has helped begin to create a strong team chemistry”, noted Maggie. Through exhausting drills, team lunches and self-reflecting, the girls are ready to have a rewarding season.

“The ISB Boys Varsity Basketball team has high expectations this season.” said the new coach Peter Roback. “We have four players returning from last year’s IASAS silver medalist team including two seniors, two freshmen and a host of sophomores and juniors.”

Their goals, amongst improving from day to day, include applying and playing a “physical and tough style of basketball”. If they do so, a solid run at IASAS should be rewarded.

What the coaches, Jim Armitage and Peter Roback are most excited about with this particular team is, how they as coaches, have been thoroughly encouraged by the wonderful attitudes of all of their players. They are assured that their competitive and team-focused spirit will lead to a very successful season.

Basketball is not only physically, but also mentally demanding. It is not an easy sport, and it takes a lot from a player in order to be successful. This year’s varsity basketball teams hope to make ISB proud. Come support the teams this coming spirit night, on November 27, here at ISB!

Carolina Zeitune