Diving Into a New Season

Anders Brekke (12) in a butterfly race, photo from Panther Swim Team Flickr

It is well known that swimmers enjoy being in their niche of a pool all year round. More importantly, however, it is also known that the swimmers are starting a season that will imminently be filled with excitement.

After the girls’ Varsity swim team ended the past season with a silver medal at IASAS, and the boys’ Varsity swim team came back in fourth place at IASAS, our dedicated swimmers are preparing to dominate for what is coming their way.

The IASAS tournament will take place in early February and will be hosted by the ISB panthers, along with the Rugby and Touch IASAS being hosted in our home as well; it will be quite the experience

In regards to anticipations for becoming a successful team this season, Sidney Smith (10) one of the girls’ Varsity captains believes that the team must “bond and support one another.” However, in order to achieve this the girls essentially will need “unity of beliefs and ethics; [they will] train hard together and race hard together,” Sidney added.

Joanna Thomson (12), the other captain of the girls’ Varsity swim team thinks that “with IASAS being home this year, there is added pressure that has been put on all of [the team members],” but that it will become a “motivation for [the girls] to work harder, and hopefully result in [their] best performances yet.”

The boys’ Varsity swimming team this year has only “five returning swimmers and has lost a few of [their] top scorers,” reported Anders Brekke (12), captain of the Varsity swim team. However, Anders added that, “the boys’ team has been rebuilt and is definitely in the running for a medal.”

With the hard work that our swimmers are putting inside and outside of grueling practices their determination will definitely pay off by end of the season. Not to mention, our ISB community will be accounting for their efforts, and will thus cheer incessantly for our dedicated, perseverant and ambitious swimmers at IASAS next semester.

Sofi Sintes